Order has been restored to a southwestern Chinese town after more than 1,000 people took to the streets and clashed with police to protest the rough handling of local residents by authorities, an official said yesterday.
Residents in Qianxi County, Guizhou Province, protested after a man who had parked a car illegally clashed with chengguan, or the urban management corps, said an official from the county’s Chinese Communist Party propaganda department.
Chengguan function like -police auxiliary units, but are notorious for corruption and violence against small businesses and the poor, and are widely disliked across China.
The protest, which started on Thursday, span out of control, with more than a dozen police cars smashed or set on fire, the China Daily reported, adding that it took more than 24 hours to disperse the crowd.
“Several people, most of them teenagers, stirred up the trouble,” said the official, who would give only his surname, Wu, as is common in China.
Wu said that at the protest’s peak, more than 1,000 people gathered, but had all dispersed by Friday. More than 10 policemen were hurt, he said, but had no further details.
Such protests — often fueled by illegal land seizures, environmental problems and abuse by local officials — number in the tens of thousands every year in China.
Generally apolitical, the incidents spark a deep unease among authorities who worry they could spill out of control and go from attacks on local issues to challenging the authority Chinese Communist Party.
Chengguan are a particular concern because they are seen as constantly overstepping their authority and encroaching on citizens’ legal rights.
The China Daily quoted an official from the media office of the prefecture that oversees Qianxi County as saying the government will order the chengguan to show more restraint.
“All urban administration workers have been hired through open and legal procedures, although they may not be well-educated,” an official, Zeng Fanya (曾凡亞), was quoted as saying.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The