Chinese investment in Palau has dried up since the Pacific nation granted asylum to six former Guantanamo detainees from China’s Uighur minority, Palauan President Johnson Toribiong said this week.
Responding to questions from a US Senate committee about China’s reaction to Palau’s decision to accept the Uighurs in 2009, Toribiong said that his government had faced sustained pressure from Beijing.
“In three separate meetings with Palau’s UN mission, the government of China stated that it considered this ‘a very serious issue for Chinese-Palauan relations,’” Toribiong said in a written response that was released this week.
“[China said] that the issue was ‘not a legal issue, but a political one’ and, ominously, that China had ‘a long memory,’” Toribiong said.
The Uighurs were part of a group of 22 arrested at a camp in the mountains of Afghanistan after the US-led invasion of the country began in October 2001, a month after the Sept. 11 attacks on the US.
The men, all from Xinjiang, were detained at Guantanamo Bay, but cleared of any wrongdoing four years later, prompting Beijing to call for their repatriation.
The US refused to send them back to China out of fears that they would be persecuted after Beijing described them as terrorist suspects.
Palau, formerly a US--administered territory and still heavily reliant on US aid, eventually agreed to take them on a temporary basis until a permanent home could be found for them.
They still remain there.
Toribiong said that shortly after the Uighurs’ arrival, construction stopped on a Chinese-backed five-star hotel in Palau, even though the 100-room project was almost finished.
“I am advised that the Chinese investor, who by that time had invested several million dollars into the project, can no longer get money out of China for the project,” he said.
Toribiong also said that “a previously expected increase in Chinese tourist arrivals to Palau never materialized” after the country agreed to take in the Uighurs.
He said Palau, which has a population of about 20,000, had agreed to Washington’s request to take the Uighurs “without hesitation, when no other nation would even consider providing such refuge.”
The Palauan leader was responding to questions from a US Senate committee that is determining how Washington should fund the Pacific state under a compact of free association between the two countries.
Palau does not have official relations with Beijing, because it is one of 23 nations that recognizes Taiwan.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY STAFF WRITER
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told