Cuba fears the US is encouraging dissent through social media, such as Facebook and Twitter, with the goal of toppling the government, according to the video of what appears a meeting of Cuban officials posted on Web sites last week.
The 50-minute video apparently is a presentation given by an Internet expert to officials of the Cuban Interior Ministry in June last year.
A link to the video (http://vimeo.com/19402730) was posted on several blogs, including that of Cuban anti-government blogger Yoani Sanchez, and on the Web site of the Miami Herald. It is not known how the video was obtained.
The expert, whose identity is not disclosed, told the officials the US is promoting use of Facebook and Twitter to foment dissent similar to ways it was used in insurrections in the Ukraine in 2004 and in Iran last year. He also said the US government was financing the introduction into Cuba of satellite communications equipment to create secret points of Wi-Fi access.
In Cuba, Internet access is limited and content largely controlled by the government.
The lecturer mentioned US aid contractor Alan Gross, who has been detained since December 2009 on suspicions he illegally supplied satellite phones to Jewish groups for Internet access. Gross is described in the video as a “mercenary.” Cuba said on Friday that Gross, 61, will face trial soon on charges of crimes against the security of the state.
“The idea is to create a technological platform away from control of Cuban authorities that permits the free flow of communication between Cuban citizens selected by [Cuban enemies] and the world,” the lecturer said.
He said the US-supplied satellite equipment seeks to spread the voice of anti-government bloggers such as Sanchez.
“A virtual network of mercenaries is organizing that are not the traditional counter-revolution. We are talking about young people, people who can have an attractive discourse, young people who hang out with our children and our brothers,” the expert said.
He said the US was dedicating more money to finance “cyber dissidents” than to the island’s traditional opponents.
In the video, the expert said Cuba should try to neutralize the dissident bloggers by countering with its own.
“Being a blogger is not bad. They have their bloggers and we have ours. We’re going to fight to see which of the two turns out stronger,” he said.
FRENCH AID: Paris has sent a navy ship and aircraft from Reunion Island with some pollution control equipment, but rough seas are spreading the oil spill The operator of a Japanese bulk carrier which ran aground off Mauritius in the Indian Ocean yesterday apologized for a major oil spill, which officials and environmentalists say is creating an ecological disaster, as police prepared to board the ship. The MV Wakashio, operated by Mitsui OSK Lines, struck the reef on Mauritius’ southeast coast on July 25. “We apologize profusely and deeply for the great trouble we have caused,” Mitsui OSK Lines executive vice president Akihiko Ono said at a news conference in Tokyo. The company would “do everything in their power to resolve the issue,” he said. At least 1,000 tonnes of
Three Micronesian sailors stranded on a remote Pacific island have been found alive and well after a rescue team spotted their giant SOS message written into the sand on a beach. Australian and US military aircraft found the three men on tiny Pikelot island, nearly 200km west of where they had set off. Rescuers said that the men were “in good condition” with no significant injuries. The men had been missing for three days after their 7m skiff ran out of fuel and strayed off course. Authorities in the US territory of Guam raised the alarm on Saturday after the men failed to complete
A cat that went missing on a family holiday on the shores of Loch Lomond, Scotland, has been identified 12 years later. Tortoiseshell-and-white Georgie spent October half term in 2008 with her owners at the Rowardennan campsite, but vanished as they were due to return home to Greater Manchester, England. After a search of the site the Davies family departed without Georgie, hoping the three-year-old microchipped feline would be located by someone. Over the intervening 12 years, she remained close to the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park site, being fed and cared for by campsite staff and holidaymakers. After the COVID-19 pandemic hit and lockdown
LIFELONG LOSS: Jiro Hamasumi, who was not quite born when an atomic bomb hit Hiroshima, lost his father and other relatives, but said he thinks about his father daily As Japan marks 75 years since the devastating attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the last generation of nuclear bomb survivors is working to ensure their message lives on after them. The “hibakusha” — literally “person affected by the bomb” — have for decades been a powerful voice calling for the abolition of nuclear weapons. There are an estimated 136,700 left, many of whom were infants or soon to be born at the time of the attacks. The average age of a survivor now is a little over 83, according to the Japanese Ministry of Health, lending an urgency as they share their testimonies