WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange said in an interview published on Sunday he believed the Pentagon could be behind a rape allegation against him that was swiftly dropped by Swedish authorities.
His comments came as prosecutors justified their treatment of the 39-year-old Australian, whose whistleblowing Web site is embroiled in a row with Washington over the publication of secret Afghan war documents.
The Aftonbladet newspaper quoted Assange as saying he did not know who was “hiding behind” the rape claim, which prompted prosecutors to issue a warrant for his arrest on Friday but which was cancelled the following day.
“But we have been warned that, for instance, the Pentagon will use dirty tricks to destroy us. I have furthermore been warned about set-up sex traps,” he said, in a translation of comments published in Swedish.
The former computer hacker described the allegations as “shocking” and said he had “never, neither in Sweden nor in any other country, had sex with someone in a way which wasn’t completely voluntary on both sides.”
Assange told Aftonbladet — for which he last week agreed to write a regular column — that his enemies would still use the claims to damage WikiLeaks despite the lifting of the warrant.
The Web site is set to publish 15,000 more secret papers about the war in Afghanistan in coming weeks, having recently released nearly 77,000 papers and sparking charges that it had endangered the lives of informants and others.
“I know from experience that WikiLeaks’ enemies continue to trumpet things even after they have been denied,” Assange said.
He refused to give more details about the two women whose claims sparked the furor, saying that it would impinge on their privacy.
Pentagon press secretary Geoff Morrell said any allegation of dirty tricks was “absurd.”
Sweden’s prosecution service said on Saturday that Assange was now “not suspected of rape” and was no longer wanted for questioning on the allegation, but added that an investigation into a separate molestation charge remained open.
He had been in Stockholm earlier this month giving a press conference on the upcoming release of the last batch of Afghanistan documents, but he generally remains on the move around the world staying with supporters.
He told Aftonbladet he was currently at a friend’s summerhouse in northern Sweden.
As the furor over the arrest warrant grew, the Swedish prosecutor’s office issued a statement on Sunday defending its actions.
It said that chief prosecutor Eva Finne, who was responsible for withdrawing the arrest warrant, had “more information available to decide on Saturday than the duty prosecutor on Friday evening.”
“A decision regarding restrictive measures, such as this, must always be reevaluated in a preliminary inquiry,” the statement added.
Prosecutor’s office spokeswoman Karin Rosander said late on Saturday that the procedure followed was normal and would have been launched automatically by the duty prosecutor in serious cases such as rape.
Separately the duty prosecutor, Maria Haljebo Kjellstrand, said that she “did not regret her decision.”
The two women who originally made the allegations did not make an official complaint and it was the police who took the decision to inform the prosecutor’s office, she told Expressen newspaper, which broke the story of the charges.
“I received a report from the police which seemed to me to be sufficient to arrest him. On Friday evening I got a call from the police describing what the women said. The information I received was convincing enough for me to take my decision,” Hljebo Kjellstrand was quoted as saying.
TARNISHED LEGACY: Woodrow Wilson served as the university’s president before becoming the US’ 28th leader, but his racism was ‘significant and consequential’ Princeton University is removing former US president Woodrow Wilson’s name from its public policy school and one of its residential colleges after trustees concluded that the 28th president’s “racist thinking and policies” made him “an inappropriate namesake.” The Ivy League school’s trustees made the decision on Friday, according to a statement on Saturday. It comes at a time of widespread rethinking of the US’ racial legacy. The Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement, energized by a series of high-profile deaths of black Americans, has resulted in the removal of Confederate monuments, flags and symbols of racism across the US. Deleting Wilson’s name at Princeton
‘FULLY ENCLOSED’: Residents of Anxin County would be confined to their homes and would only be allowed out once a day to buy necessities such as food and medicine China yesterday imposed a strict lockdown on nearly half a million people near the capital to contain a fresh COVID-19 cluster as authorities warned the outbreak was still “severe and complicated.” After China largely brought the virus under control, hundreds have been infected in Beijing and cases have emerged in Hebei Province. Health officials said that Anxin County — about 150km from Beijing — would be “fully enclosed and controlled,” the same strict measures imposed at the height of the pandemic in the city of Wuhan earlier this year. Only one person from each family would be allowed to go out once a
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
‘CHAPITOS’: An ex-DEA agent said the sons of the former cartel head are engaged in a battle for control, with the health of the man temporarily in charge a factor The fight for control of drug kingpin Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman’s legacy spilled into the open on Thursday after a gun battle between rival Mexican gangs left 16 dead, authorities said. The 16 men, heavily armed and wearing bulletproof vests, died in a six-hour running shootout near the rural town of Tepuche in northwestern Sinaloa province. “A van with seven bodies was located” after an initial clash, while nine bodies were discovered following a second exchange, Sinaloa Minister of Security Cristobal Castaneda told reporters. Castaneda said that Wednesday’s clash near Tepuche, 25km from the capital of Sinaloa, Culiacan, was “part of a struggle