One of the suspected masterminds of last month’s bomb attacks on Uganda’s capital Kampala said on Thursday his anger at the US spurred his involvement in the plot, adding that it was intended to kill US citizens.
Issa Ahmed Luyima, 33, a former librarian, was one of four Ugandan suspects paraded in front of journalists by the east African nation’s Chieftancy of Military Intelligence before he made a public confession.
“I was reluctant to pick on Ugandans. My rage was with the Americans whom I deemed responsible for all the suffering of Muslims around the world ... we thought they are the ones who planted the TGF [Transitional Federal Government] in Somalia,” Luyima said.
He said he regretted the loss of Ugandan lives when three bombs ripped through a bar at a rugby club and an Ethiopian restaurant where soccer fans were watching the World Cup final on July 11.
Somalia’s al-Shabaab Islamic militants later claimed responsibility, saying the attacks were revenge for Uganda’s deployment of peacekeeping troops in Somalia.
Ugandan soldiers form the backbone of the 6,300 strong African Union Mission in Somalia force.
Ugandan Police say at least two of the bombs were detonated by suicide bombers, while a third was likely triggered by a mobile phone.
Luyima said he chose the Ethiopian restaurant as a target because the blasts were likely to kill Ethiopians and Westerners.
Hardline Islamists accuse Somalia’s beleaguered interim government of being a puppet of the West and Ethiopia. The latter invaded its neighbor in late 2006 to force an Islamist movement out of Somalia’s capital Mogadishu.
“That was my rage and that’s why I picked on the Ethiopian restaurant because of that mix-up of Ethiopians and Westerners, Ethiopians are also a big part of our enemy,” Luyima said.
Three Kenyans have been charged with several counts of murder and terrorism for their roles in the attacks.
Luyima and his accomplices have not yet been charged, but have confessed to planning and facilitating the attacks, including renting a house to host the suicide bombers, transporting them to their targets and planting a fourth bomb that was defused by the police before it exploded.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding