A US teenager who was plucked from her stricken yacht in the Indian Ocean after an international rescue mission, has vowed to try to sail around the world again.
A multinational effort was mobilized to save 16-year-old Abby Sunderland whose 12m yacht Wild Eyes was dismasted during a fierce storm on Thursday.
French and Australian officials scrambled to rescue the teenage solo sailor and she was taken on board a French fishing boat on Saturday after two nights drifting helpless.
“I’m definitely going to sail around the world again or really give it another try,” she told the Australian Broadcasting Corp on Saturday. “I’ve wanted to sail around the world for years and am definitely going to do it sometime.”
The California-based teenager, who is now en route to the French island of Reunion, said she was still in shock over the incident — in which she battled heavy seas all day, enduring repeated knock-downs until the mast was snapped.
She said she wasn’t particularly scared or lonely during her ordeal, but admitted she was fortunate she could be rescued as soon as she was.
“I’m really lucky that there was a boat to come and get me where I was,” she said.
Writing on her blog on Saturday, Sunderland rejected criticism that she was too young to attempt to sail solo around the world or had misjudged her ability to sail through the southern hemisphere winter.
“There are plenty of things people can think of to blame for my situation; my age, the time of year and many more,” she wrote on soloaround.blogspot.com.
“The truth is, I was in a storm and you don’t sail through the Indian Ocean without getting in at least one storm. It wasn’t the time of year it was just a Southern Ocean storm. Storms are part of the deal when you set out to sail around the world. As for age, since when does age create gigantic waves and storms?” she wrote.
Sunderland, whose parents had supported her round-the-world attempt, is expected to reach Reunion by late today, depending on the weather.
Her compact sailboat, which was equipped with a small bunk bed, a water-maker and a store of freeze-dried food, was abandoned and her parents have said it is unlikely to be retrieved.
However, fundraising on Sunderland’s Web site to bring the boat back with the teenager have so far drawn pledges of more than US$2,400.
In Australia, whose planes first spotted Sunderland’s stricken yacht about 2,000 nautical miles (3704km) off the West Australian coast on Friday and revealed the teenager was alive, questions have been raised about the cost of the rescue.
But the government said it would not attempt to recover the cost.
“The Australian taxpayer at the end of the day makes a contribution,” Australian Transport Minister Anthony Albanese said.
“But we have to put this in context — if there was an Australian lost at sea we would want ... every effort to be made to save that person,” he said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told