Last month’s botched execution of a US inmate, whose veins could not take a lethal injection, has led Ohio to call a moratorium that may prompt a wholesale reexamination of the execution method.
On Monday, Ohio Governor Ted Strickland granted a reprieve to two men facing execution, as his state re-examines lethal injection procedures.
The Democratic governor’s move came after the state tried for two hours to execute Romell Broom on Sept. 15, carrying out his sentence for murder.
Executioners were unable to find a vein to administer the lethal injection — despite 18 attempts to insert a needle.
Broom became the first death row inmate to survive his own scheduled execution since 1946. His attorneys have filed appeals so that he does not have to undergo the same punishment twice.
“I think Ohio executions are on hold until this case get resolved. It can take six months or a year,” said Richard Dieter, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center.
The Ohio governor said the state urgently needed to weigh alternatives.
“This could happen in any state that uses lethal injection. It just happened in Ohio, it came close to happening in Florida,” Dieter said.
He was referring to the case of Angel Diaz, who in December 2006, spent 34 minutes in agony when the chemicals were injected directly into his muscles. The drugs are first an anesthetic; then another to paralyze the muscles; and a third to stop the heart.
That case also prompted a reexamination of a practice that remains highly controversial but which has the support of a large number of Americans.
Dieter said the some of the problems with the administration of the injections stem from the fact that they are not done by doctors, in keeping with American Medical Association guidelines.
“They had these problems in other states because they all use basically the same protocol, three drugs, IV injection without a doctor,” he said.
Jennifer Brunner, a Democratic Senate candidate from Ohio, called in a Huffington Post opinion article for this latest controversy to spark a wider rethink of the death penalty.
“The execution of Broom is to be rescheduled. Now is the time to rethink, first, how we kill, and then move on to the larger question of whether we even should kill in the first place,” she said.
The New York Times has also called for a reexamination following a blunder that showed “death penalty at its most barbaric.”
Still, the use of lethal injections, employed in all US states that practice the death penalty, was upheld last year by the US Supreme Court. In the court’s main opinion, chief Justice John Roberts stated that the government was not required to eliminate all risk of pain in carrying out death sentences.
But division on the court left open the door to further debate. Left-leaning Judge John Paul Stevens said he was convinced that a “new debate” would begin on lethal injection as well as the death penalty.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses