Hundreds of Russians, clutching carnations for the dead, marked 10 years since a string of bombing attacks destroyed several suburban apartment blocks and killed nearly 300 people across the country.
Sobbing relatives and friends of 93 victims placed flowers at a small memorial where one apartment was bombed on Sept. 9, 1999 — the second of four explosions that triggered panic across the nation and prompted the government to launch a series of military attacks on the southern province of Chechnya. However, questions of whether authorities might have been involved in the blasts linger.
“The feeling tonight is terrible,” said Viktor Zakharchik, 57, who lives in an adjacent building. “We lost many neighbors, acquaintances.”
Zakharchik was among the hundreds who gathered in the stuffy summer night for the 10th anniversary of the blasts. An honor guard placed wreaths at the memorial just after midnight, accompanied by the sounds of a tolling bell blaring from nearby speakers.
Many in attendance waved reporters away from the event, either too upset to comment or, perhaps, scared into silence by the myriad killings and disappearances linked to the blasts in years since.
The attacks between Sept. 4 and Sept. 16 obliterated an apartment block in Buynanksk, one in Volgodonsk and two in Moscow. A week later, police in the city of Ryazan said they had found explosives in an apartment block there, but federal officials said the substance was actually household sugar and the incident was a security drill.
The official investigation into the blasts ended in 2002. Several people were convicted and sentenced to life in prison, but the man authorities say masterminded the attacks — alleged Chechen crime boss Achemez Gochiyayev — remains at large.
Vladimir Putin, then Russia’s little-known new prime minister, rode to popularity on the back of the military campaign in Chechnya and was subsequently elected president.
Rights activists have accused officials of involvement in apartment blasts, pointing to the suspicious deaths of several independent investigators.
Crowds in Bangladesh are flocking to snap photographs with an unlikely social media star — an albino buffalo with flowing blond hair nicknamed “Donald Trump” that is due to be sacrificed within days. Owner Zia Uddin Mridha, 38, said his brother named the 700kg bull over its flowing helmet of hair resembling the signature look of the US president. “My younger brother picked this name because of the buffalo’s extraordinary hair,” he said at his farm in Narayanganj, just outside the capital, Dhaka. Mridha said that a constant stream of curious visitors — social media fans, onlookers and children — have come throughout
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
It began as a satirical online project. Now millions of young people in India are flocking to it as an outlet for their frustration. A parody political party called the Cockroach Janta Party, with the insect as its symbol, has exploded across India’s social media by turning absurdist humor into protest. Memes and short videos mocking corruption, joblessness and political dysfunction have flooded social media sites, where millions of users are embracing the cockroach — known for its ability to survive harsh conditions — as a tongue-in-cheek symbol of endurance. The online movement’s rise has been unusually rapid. The Cockroach Janta Party (CJP)
The researchers in Ireland looked at their computer screen, marveling at a medieval book tracked down in a Roman library. They flipped through its digitized pages and found their sought-after treasure: the oldest surviving English poem. “We were extremely surprised. We were speechless. We couldn’t believe our eyes when we first saw that,” said Elisabetta Magnanti, a visiting research fellow at Trinity College Dublin’s school of English. The poem was also within the main body of Latin text, she said, calling it “extraordinary.” Composed in Old English by a Northumbrian agricultural worker in the 7th century, Caedmon’s Hymn appears within some copies of