Former Australian prime minister John Howard has criticized “clumsy” Chinese diplomatic efforts to gag exiled dissidents and linked recent strains between Canberra and Beijing to a failed mining deal.
Howard said China’s attempts to prevent exiled Uighur leader Rebiya Kadeer visiting Australia last month were “ridiculous” and left Canberra with no choice but to grant her a visa.
Conservative leader of Australia for 11 years, Howard said Beijing had adopted similar tactics when Tibet’s spiritual leader visited the country, failing to appreciate that efforts to dictate diplomatic policy were destined to backfire.
“They can be very clumsy diplomatically,” Howard told a business function in Sydney on Wednesday. “They’ve got this silly habit, if they don’t want you to see someone, they say so — which means that you must see them.
“It’s just ridiculous, they’ve done that with the Dalai Lama [and] the way they carried on about that lady with the visa [Kadeer].
“Of course we had to give that lady a visa. Heavens above, you don’t allow the Chinese, or any government — whether it’s China or Britain or America — to tell us who we should give visas to,” he said.
Australia revealed last month that China had canceled a senior minister’s visit over Canberra’s decision to grant a visa to Kadeer, whom Beijing accuses of being a separatist and inciting deadly unrest in northwest China’s Xinjiang region in July.
MINING AT ROOT
Howard said recent tensions between China and Australia could be traced back to mining giant Rio Tinto’s rejection of a US$19.5 billion cash injection from China’s state-owned aluminum giant Chinalco.
“I think they got their noses out of joint over the Chinalco thing and some of the things they have done in response have been conditioned by that reaction,” he said.
China arrested an Australian Rio Tinto executive in the weeks after the Chinalco deal collapsed, but says his detention is linked to allegations of industrial espionage and bribery during fraught iron ore negotiations.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses