Soldiers, police, prisoners and displaced people began early voting yesterday ahead of Saturday’s provincial election in Iraq, which will determine the political landscape across the country as US forces withdraw.
Iraqis held in detention were also expected to take part in the early voting.
US and Iraqi authorities hoped the election would open the political process to more groups and further erode support for extremist networks.
In the Shiiite south, Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki is hoping to win support in provinces long dominated by large rival parties. In other parts of the country, Sunni Arabs, many of whom boycotted the last provincial poll, are seeking a bigger share of provincial power.
The early round of special voting was called to ensure that soldiers and police can all be on duty for a massive security operation during the main election on Saturday, when vehicles will be banned from the streets.
“This is our challenge to every terrorist and to everyone opposed,” soldier Abed Khalaf said at a polling station in the northern city of Kirkuk, where the main poll has been delayed indefinitely but troops from other parts of Iraq can vote.
“We came here today and we are not afraid, because an honest person should not hide his head from these groups,” he said.
The commander in the area, Lieutenant Colonel Khalil Kamal al-Zobaie, said his men were happy to be voting: “This day is like a wedding for all the army.”
In other parts of Iraq there were some signs of confusion.
At the Maqal Prison in the city of Basra, fights broke out between guards and reporters brought inside to film the voting. Several photographers were beaten by guards who accused them of taking pictures that showed prisoners’ faces.
Tens of thousands of displaced people were also registered for early voting, although they make up only a fraction of up to 4 million Iraqis believed to have fled abroad or to other parts of Iraq during years of fighting.
Holding a successful election is an important test of the ability of Iraqi troops to keep the peace as 140,000 US troops begin to leave. US President Barack Obama wants to speed up the pace of withdrawal after his predecessor George W. Bush promised to pull out the troops by the end of 2011.
Iraqis have embraced the voting enthusiastically. Some 14,400 candidates, including nearly 4,000 women, have registered to fight 440 provincial council seats. Campaign posters are plastered all over the concrete blast walls that have sprung up throughout the country since the US-led invasion in 2003.
The election campaign so far has not seen a surge in violence feared by US and Iraqi commanders. At least two candidates were assassinated, but overall attacks have remained at among the lowest levels since the war began.
Two schools located just 2km apart in Sydney’s eastern suburbs have closed after a student at each tested positive for COVID-19. The news comes one day after all students across the state returned to the classroom full-time. Waverley College sent home the 1,100 students from its senior campus on yesterday morning, after being notified by the parents of a Year-7 boy that he had tested positive for the virus. Parents were told to come and collect their children just before 10am. Down the road, Moriah College evacuated its campus a few hours later after New South Wales (NSW) Health notified the school
‘NO REGRETS’: Boris Johnson’s aide insisted he made the ‘right judgement’ when he broke lockdown regulations, prompting Scottish lawmaker Douglas Ross to quit A UK government minister has resigned in protest after British Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s most senior aide refused to apologize for allegedly breaching lockdown rules. The resignation piled further pressure on Johnson to fire Dominic Cummings, his top strategist, who has refused to quit over claims that he flouted the government’s lockdown advice. The main charge against Cummings is that he ignored the government’s own orders to “stay at home” when he drove more than 400km to his parents’ property in northeast England to get childcare support for his four-year-old son. UK Minister for Scotland Douglas Ross said many voters in his district
US President Donald Trump on Sunday further limited travel from COVID-19 hotspots by denying entry to foreigners coming from Brazil. Trump had already banned certain travelers from China, Europe, the UK and Ireland and, to a lesser extent, Iran. He has not moved to ban travel from Russia, which has the world’s third-highest caseload. Trump had said last week that he was considering limiting travel from Brazil. White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said that the step announced on Sunday was another “decisive action to protect our country.” Brazil, now Latin America’s hardest-hit country, is second, with more than 347,000 cases and more than
POINT-BLANK RANGE: Reporters and camera people from several outlets say police officers in Minneapolis had fired tear gas and rubber bullets directly at them Multiple journalists on the ground in Minnesota said they were teargassed and subject to other attacks by police on Saturday evening, a day after the widely condemned arrest of a CNN reporter live on air. Los Angeles Times journalist Molly Hennessy-Fiske, who was reporting outside the Fifth Precinct in Minneapolis, said she was with a group of about a dozen journalists when the Minnesota State Patrol “fired tear gas canisters on us at point blank range.” “I was saying: ‘Where do we go?’ They did not tell us where to go. They didn’t direct us. They just fired on us,” she said