Three survivors were found after the crash of a French military helicopter off Gabon, with one soldier dead and six still missing.
“The provisional toll is one dead, one seriously injured, one lightly injured, one who survived unhurt and six missing,” said Lieutenant-Colonel Francois-Marie Gougeon of the general staff in Paris.
Ten French soldiers, including four crew members and six special forces members, were earlier reported missing after the helicopter crashed into the sea on Saturday during a joint exercise off the coast of Gabon.
The Cougar transport helicopter went down off Nyonie, a small town situated between the capital, Libreville, and the town of Port-Gentil further south, Lieutenant-Colonel Pascal Carpentier said in Libreville.
It crashed at 8:08pm shortly after taking off from the landing craft transporter La Foudre, cruising 50km off the Gabonese coast, Gougeon said.
The ship “set off the alert and went to the scene of the crash with its own rescuers who picked up the injured within half an hour.
“The sea was calm and the wind low at the time of the crash but the night was very dark,” he said, adding that “search operations will naturally continue all night” with La Foudre, two helicopters and vessels made available by French oil company Total.
An inquiry would be held into the causes of the accident “very soon,” Gougeon said.
The French presidential palace said in a statement earlier that President Nicolas Sarkozy had been informed about the crash and had “asked that all available means in the area be immediately deployed to find the soldiers who were aboard.”
Sarkozy ordered French Defense Minister Herve Morin to travel to the area. He was expected to leave early yesterday morning.
APPEAL FOR HELP
In Libreville, Carpentier said: “We have put all our available means into the operation. There are aircraft and La Foudre. We have also appealed to Total, which has put three vessels at our disposal.”
Six hundred soldiers backed by Cougar and Fennec helicopters were taking part in a joint exercise to coordinate maritime safety operations. During Operation N’Gari, men were to be parachuted onto predetermined targets including Nyonie.
Carpentier said 120 Gabonese troops participated in the exercise, due to run from Saturday until Wednesday.
“At daybreak we will deploy all our means, planes, helicopters, boats ... to take part in the search.”
Gabonese Interior Minister Andre Mba Obame said France had around 1,000 troops in Gabon, a former French colony, with one of four permanent bases in Africa.
The French Forces in Gabon are here to assure the safety of the 12,000 French residents in the country in case of threat and carry out aid missions, according to a press handout.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable
SURGE CONTINUES: India recorded its steepest spike of more than 57,000 new virus cases in 24 hours, as Vietnam went from no virus deaths to reporting three South Korean prosecutors yesterday arrested the elderly leader of a secretive religious sect as part of an investigation into allegations that the church hampered the government’s COVID-19 response after thousands of worshipers were infected in February and March. Prosecutors in the central city of Suwon have been questioning 88-year-old Lee Man-hee, chairman of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, over charges that the church hid some members and underreported gatherings to avoid broader quarantines. The Suwon District Court granted prosecutors’ request to arrest Lee over concerns that he could temper with evidence. Lee and his church have steadfastly denied the accusations, saying they are