Hopes for the release of Myanmar’s democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi were raised and then quickly faded at an ASEAN meeting, as officials said yesterday that comments indicating she could be freed within months had been misinterpreted.
ASEAN foreign ministers have told their counterpart from Myanmar they were “deeply disappointed” over the junta’s recent decision to extend her house arrest by another year.
But Singaporean Foreign Minister George Yeo said on Sunday that the regime’s foreign minister Nyan Win had suggested she could be freed within six months under a technical deadline.
Asked yesterday whether Aung San Suu Kyi could be released then, Indonesian Foreign Minister Hassan Wirajuda said: “That’s our hope.”
But Yeo said yesterday that Nyan Win had been misunderstood, and that the legal limit of the detention period would only be reached “six months from May 2009,” when the one-year extension expires.
Aung San Suu Kyi has spent most of the past 18 years under house arrest at her home in Yangon, with the most recent spell beginning in May 2003.
Trevor Wilson, a former Australian ambassador to Myanmar, said he expected her to be kept in detention until elections billed for 2010.
“I don’t think there’s any evidence that the government is ready to release her,” he said.
David Mathieson, a consultant on Myanmar for US-based Human Rights Watch, said the military regime’s claims to be abiding by national laws were farcical.
When the six-year limit expires “they’ll probably just come back up with another excuse and bank on people’s short memories,” he said.
Meanwhile, a UN-led report said Myanmar needs at least US$1 billion over the next three years to help rebuild the lives of survivors of Cyclone Nargis, in the first comprehensive assessment of the damage caused by the disaster.
The cyclone caused an estimated US$4 billion in damage, said the report prepared by the UN, ASEAN and the junta. Damage to assets was estimated at US$1.7 billion and loss of income at US$2.3 billion.
The cyclone killed at least 84,537 people and left 53,836 missing and presumed dead, the junta said.
ASEAN Secretary-General Surin Pitsuwan said the three parties involved in the report are seeking at least US$1 billion in international aid for humanitarian relief efforts alone over the next three years to deal with the tragedy.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding