Dozens of protesters blocked a road on Saturday in eastern Afghanistan claiming US-led coalition forces killed three civilians.
Villagers from the area carried the three bodies to a major highway during the protest, in which police allegedly opened fire, killing one and wounding three.
The coalition said its troops were attacked while searching compounds on Friday in the Shinwar district of Nangarhar Province.
“Several militants were killed” and nine insurgents were arrested, it said in a statement on Saturday.
The coalition said the operation was targeting a “foreign fighter network” and that militants in the area had recently attacked coalition forces. The troops destroyed several automatic rifles, grenades and ammunition discovered in the compounds.
Interior Ministry spokesman Zemeri Bashary said the government was investigating the villagers’ claims.
“The coalition claimed they were fired upon from a house and the enemy were gathered there, but the villagers claim those people who were killed were innocent civilians,” said Mohammad Hashem Ghamsharik, spokesman for the Nangarhar governor.
The head of the Nangarhar provincial council, Fazel Hadi Muslimyar, said police opened fire on the protesters, killing one and wounding three. Police refused to comment.
The Afghan government has pleaded with coalition forces to coordinate more closely to avoid civilian casualties, but foreign troops say insurgents hide in villages, using civilians as human shields.
More than 1,200 people, mostly militants, have died so far this year in insurgency-related violence in Afghanistan, according to an Associated Press count.
Separately in central Kapisa Province, a coalition vehicle hit a roadside bomb on Friday in Tag Ab valley, killing one service member, the coalition said. It did not give details.
In eastern Paktia Province, Afghan and foreign forces killed seven suspected Taliban insurgents during an operation on Friday, said provincial police chief General Hismatullah Alizai.
In southern Helmand Province, three Danish soldiers suffered minor injuries after a roadside bomb exploded near their vehicle on Saturday, said a statement from the Danish military.
In the southern city of Kandahar, police arrested two Pakistanis and an Afghan transporting a car full of explosives on Saturday, said provincial police chief Sayed Agha Saqib.
One of the Pakistani suspects said he was hired by insurgents in Karachi to pick up explosives from the Afghan border district of Spin Boldak and deliver them to Kandahar city for 10,000 rupees (US$150).
US military and intelligence officials have warned that Pakistan’s tribal areas are becoming a breeding ground for Taliban, al-Qaeda and other militant groups.
Pakistan is a U.S. ally and has deployed more than 100,000 troops in its border areas but has struggled to contain rising militancy.
PASTA PUNCHLINE: Billy McLean’s spoof poking fun at misinformation on the coronavirus was meant for friends, but is being eaten up by frazzled Britons It started off as an ad-libbed joke for some friends in a soccer banter group and ended up being heard by vast numbers of Britons within hours. However, the man responsible for a joke WhatsApp audio clip that claimed the UK Ministry of Defence was about to requisition Wembley Stadium to cook the world’s biggest lasagna has said his viral success also shows the risks of believing everything that gets sent to you on the messaging service. Billy McLean, a 29-year-old Londoner who works in software sales, came forward to the Guardian to identify himself as the creator of the much-shared clip
‘AN HONORABLE TASK’: The brigade to Italy is the sixth contingent of doctors the nation has sent abroad to aid governments contending with the COVID-19 pandemic Cuba has dispatched doctors and nurses to Italy for the first time this weekend to help fight COVID-19 at the request of the worst-affected region Lombardy, it said. The Caribbean nation has sent its “armies of white robes” to disaster sites around the world largely in poor countries since its 1959 revolution, with doctors on the front lines in the fight against cholera in Haiti and against ebola in West Africa in the 2010s. Yet with the 52-strong brigade, this is the first time Cuba has sent an emergency contingent to Italy, one of the world’s richest countries, demonstrating the reach of
EASING RESTRICTIONS: After there were no new locally transmitted cases for three consecutive days, officials have started to relax limitations on freedom of movement China on Friday reported a record rise in imported COVID-19 cases as expatriates returned home from the US and Europe, sparking fears of a second wave of infections just as the country recovers from the initial outbreak. All 41 of the new confirmed cases in China were imported from abroad, the Chinese National Health Commission said yesterday, bringing the total number of such cases to 269. Beijing and Shanghai were the main entry points for the returnees, many of whom are students who were studying abroad, official reports said. They have come back after many campuses in the US and Europe shut
There are growing concerns for the health of Rokia Traore, a Malian singer who has been on hunger strike at the Fleury-Merogis Prison near Paris since she was arrested on March 10 on allegations of kidnapping her daughter in a child custody dispute. “I am very worried,” said Kenneth Feliho, her lawyer. “She is only drinking. She has not been eating for over a week and her immune system is weak.” Among those calling for the musician’ release are African stars including Salif Keita, Youssou N’Dour and Angelique Kidjo. Damon Albarn, who performed with her in the group Africa Express, wrote: “We demand,