A huge search operation was underway yesterday after hundreds of people went missing and at least 15 died when a crowded bridge collapsed in Nepal, officials said.
Nearly 400 people were on the bridge across a gorge over the Bheri river, 380km west of the capital, Katmandu, when it collapsed on Tuesday afternoon, officials said.
Scores of people were also hurt in the disaster.
"The rescue operations began early on Wednesday morning. Around 450 police and soldiers have been deployed to scour the river banks from three locations," district administrator Anil Kumar Pandey said by phone.
The bridge, made of metal and steel coils with a 500m span, plunged into the gorge after a catastrophic failure of one of the supporting pillars that rose 50m above the water level.
Despite the search efforts, hopes of finding people still alive appeared remote, officials said.
"The chances of finding survivors look slim," Pandey said.
The bridge was crowded with locals who were heading to a religious ceremony to celebrate the full moon that began on Monday.
Around 40 people, mostly women and children, who were rescued from the site, were treated in hospitals in nearby towns, the official said.
Pandey said that "some of the seriously wounded have been airlifted to Katmandu for further treatment."
The site where the bridge fell into the river is estimated to be around 25m deep, he said.
Officials fear many people may have been swept downstream into remote areas of the mainly agricultural countryside that surrounds the Bheri, one of Nepal's largest rivers.
But as many as 100 people reportedly managed to swim to safety with the river at low winter season flow.
Nepal has hundreds of small bridges in the rugged countryside that range from rope or wooden planks to steel and concrete. The country is cut by dozens of rivers across one of the steepest topographies in the world.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told