Rescue operations were under way yesterday as the number of people stranded by floods from torrential monsoon rains and glacial snowmelt climbed to 12 million across north India, officials said.
Bihar, where flood waters have affected almost 7 million people, and Assam were among the worst affected states.
"A total of 6.89 million people are reeling under the effects of the floods," said Satish Chandra Jha, the top officials from Bihar's relief and rehabilitation department.
PHOTO: AP
More than 3,000 villages were waterlogged, the official added.
Nearly 1,000 people have died in India since the onset of monsoon rains in June, according to a tally compiled from officials and media reports.
Several rivers had burst their banks in the north of impoverished Bihar state while in other parts dams had been forced to discharge brimming water, the official added in the state capital Patna.
Charity Oxfam, which said it was working with local aid groups, expressed concern that a lack of clean drinking water could spark widespread waterborne illness.
"Providing safe drinking water and addressing public health is essential because it saves lives," Lalchand Garg, Oxfam's manager in eastern India, said in a statement.
At least 25 people have died due to the floods in Bihar in the past week, but the figure could rise.
Officials were also grappling to provide relief in northeastern Assam, where 5.5 million people have been displaced by floods.
"Relief and rescue workers are working on a war footing. But in this kind of a devastating flood, we know we cannot satisfy each and everybody," Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi said.
Baby food and water purifying tablets were being dispatched, Gogoi said, but people stranded in Senimari village, just 75km east of Assam's main city, Guwahati, said they had yet to see either.
Flooding across north and northeast India claimed more than 150 lives in July.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told