Eritrea on Friday rejected fresh UN allegations that it is the main arms supplier to Islamist insurgents in Somalia in violation of a 15-year UN embargo and demanded to see the evidence.
In a report to the Security Council, a UN panel of independent experts described Eritrea as "the principal clandestine source and conduit for arms supplies" to the Somali Islamist insurgents engaged in guerrilla warfare with Ethiopian-backed government troops.
The experts said they had "observed a clear pattern of involvement by the government of Eritrea in arms embargo violations" and concluded Eritrean capital Asmara "has made deliberate attempts to hide its activities and mislead the international community about its involvement."
They said Asmara tried to cover its tracks through creation of business front companies, use of different existing or legitimate, airline companies, "filing of false flight plans indicating flight to third countries that never took place and the unauthorized use of registration numbers and call signs."
Asmara rejected the latest UN allegations as "a big lie" designed to mask UN failure to halt the war in Somalia and active US involvement that critics blame for fanning bloodletting.
"These allegations are not new and we know where they are coming from. The UN is acting as a megaphone of the United States," said Ali Abdu, Eritrean Information Minister. "These allegations are aimed at fabricating a pretext for the Ethiopian and American invasion of Somalia, and the massacre of the Somalia people."
The report also accused Ethiopian troops of using white phosphorous bombs against the Islamists in an April 13 battle that left 15 insurgents and 35 civilians dead. Apparently was not an isolated incident.
The UN report, covering the period from last November to late June this year, said that Somalia "is literally awash with arms," more so that at any time since the 1991 overthrow of dictator Siad Barre that plunged the country into instability.
Earlier this year, Ethiopia-backed Somali government troops ousted an Islamist militia which had briefly taken control of large parts of the country on the Horn of Africa.
The insurgents have since launched almost daily guerrilla attacks against the Somali transitional government, as well as the Ethiopian and Africa Union troops protecting it.
The UN report warned that although the rebels have lost a portion of their arsenal, they "have considerably more hidden in caches for future use."
Crowds in Bangladesh are flocking to snap photographs with an unlikely social media star — an albino buffalo with flowing blond hair nicknamed “Donald Trump” that is due to be sacrificed within days. Owner Zia Uddin Mridha, 38, said his brother named the 700kg bull over its flowing helmet of hair resembling the signature look of the US president. “My younger brother picked this name because of the buffalo’s extraordinary hair,” he said at his farm in Narayanganj, just outside the capital, Dhaka. Mridha said that a constant stream of curious visitors — social media fans, onlookers and children — have come throughout
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
The researchers in Ireland looked at their computer screen, marveling at a medieval book tracked down in a Roman library. They flipped through its digitized pages and found their sought-after treasure: the oldest surviving English poem. “We were extremely surprised. We were speechless. We couldn’t believe our eyes when we first saw that,” said Elisabetta Magnanti, a visiting research fellow at Trinity College Dublin’s school of English. The poem was also within the main body of Latin text, she said, calling it “extraordinary.” Composed in Old English by a Northumbrian agricultural worker in the 7th century, Caedmon’s Hymn appears within some copies of