US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice reassured officials from Kosovo that the US would push for recognition of the breakaway province's independence from Serbia within months.
The officials, who included the Kosovar prime minister and president, told Rice they would not upend new negotiations by unilaterally declaring independence, but would coordinate any move with the US.
"The United States made clear very firmly that the issue needs to be resolved sooner rather than later," Kosovar President Fatmir Sejdiu said in an interview on Monday.
The meetings followed the failure of the US and European countries to win Russia's support of a UN Security Council resolution endorsing independence.
Following a move by the Security Council to set aside a resolution on Kosovo, the US and the EU said on Friday they would move the forum for deciding Kosovo's status to the Contact Group on Kosovo -- which includes representatives from the US, Britain, France, Italy, Germany and Russia.
LAST ATTEMPT
US and European officials have agreed to allow 120 days for further negotiations that would include talks with Kosovo and Serbia in a last attempt to reach an agreement.
Sejdiu said the US had reassured Kosovo that countries will move quickly after the 120 days have passed to recognize Kosovo's independence. That move would happen regardless of objections from other countries including Russia, Sejdiu said.
"We can see that the United States is very serious about this 120 days of engagement and this was quite an assurance," he said. "It is quite evident that independence will be the outcome at the end of that engagement period and that independence is inevitable."
US officials have said the US would move to recognize Kosovo within months, though they have not specified the 120-day period.
During a visit to Albania last month, US President George W. Bush hinted that the US could recognize Kosovo even without Security Council consent, saying there cannot be endless negotiations over its independence.
The Kosovar population is predominantly ethnic Albanian.
Sejdiu expressed disappointment that the Security Council was unable to reach a consensus and that the resolution on Kosovo's future was set aside on Friday in the face of a possible Russian veto.
GRAVE FAILURE
"It was a grave failure that was a big disappointment to everybody," he said.
The talks in Washington followed a comment by Kosovar Prime Minister Agim Ceku suggesting that the province's parliament should adopt its own resolution setting Nov. 28 as a possible date for declaring independence.
But Sejdiu said that Kosovo would not declare independence without coordinating with its allies.
"Of course at a certain stage the Kosovo parliament will announce the status of Kosovo, its independence," he said. "But this will only be done in a close partnership and agreement with the countries that support Kosovo's independence."
Senior US officials speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak for attribution, said that all the officials in Monday's talks, including Ceku, agreed on coordinating a declaration of independence.
INSTABILITY
Sejdiu said that delay beyond the 120 days could lead to political instability in Kosovo. The moderate political forces represented by the delegation are under pressure from more radical parties and the public to show that they will deliver independence.
Although Kosovo remains a province of Serbia, it has been under UN and NATO administration since 1999 when a 78-day NATO-led air war halted a Serb crackdown on ethnic Albanian separatists.
The UN's special envoy on Kosovo recommended internationally supervised independence in April.
Tomorrow, US officials, including Rice, will discuss the province's future with Serbian Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic in Washington.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in