Afghan forces admitted yesterday that the Taliban had captured a district in mountainous southern Afghanistan in the latest upsurge of rebels strikes that have killed scores of people.
Meanwhile, the Interior Ministry announced that 10 civilians and up to 60 Taliban were killed in days of fighting in Uruzgan Province but rejected claims by locals that dozens more were killed in NATO bombing raids.
The insurgents said they captured mountainous Myanishen district in the Kandahar Province late on Monday.
The ministry said yesterday that police had left the area.
"It was a temporary tactical withdrawal," interior ministry spokesman Zemarai Bashary said. "We plan to retake the district by launching an operation."
He dismissed a claim by the Taliban that 10 policemen were killed.
Taliban spokesman Yousuf Ahmadi said the police had fled into the mountains after being under siege for two days.
"Finally last night at 10pm we totally captured the district center," he said.
The rebels were in control of the district administration offices and had taken possession of government vehicles and weapons.
The insurgents -- waging a battle to reclaim Afghanistan, which was governed by the Taliban between 1996 and 2001 -- have overrun several district centers in the south and west but have usually been pushed out after a few days.
They have however have held for months Musa Qala district in Helmand Province, which adjoins Uruzgan and Kandahar, and are said to control several others in the area.
The captured district adjoins Chora in Uruzgan Province where local officials alleged on Monday that scores of civilians were killed in three days of fighting, including NATO bombardments, to dislodge a group of Taliban.
Bashary said yesterday 10 civilians and four policemen had been killed by the Taliban and "50 to 60 enemy elements" were also dead. He said claims that scores more civilians died in bombing raids were "not true."
Uruzgan provincial council chief Mawlawi Hamdullah said late on Monday accounts from the area suggested around 60 civilians may have been killed, most of them in bombing raids.
"We may be able in course of days to determine the exact number of dead and wounded. Now we can only talk about estimation," he said.
About 100 people were in a hospital in the provincial capital Tirin Kot but there were others wounded who were not able to leave Chora, he said, calling for helicopters to be sent to the district to airlift them out.
NATO's International Security Assistance Force said late on Monday it had no reports of civilian deaths but believed around 50 to 60 Taliban may have been killed.
"The fighting in Uruzgan still goes on," spokesman Major John Thomas said yesterday. "About civilians, there is nothing new since last night. But Taliban are mainly responsible for the civilian casualties."
Unrest linked to the Taliban insurgency has peaked in the past few days with the insurgents' deadliest attack in Kabul on Sunday killing 35 people, most of them police training instructors.
It was the fifth suicide bombing in three days. Most were aimed at foreign troops but killed more civilians, who are increasingly becoming victims in the fight for Afghanistan.
POINT-BLANK RANGE: Reporters and camera people from several outlets say police officers in Minneapolis had fired tear gas and rubber bullets directly at them Multiple journalists on the ground in Minnesota said they were teargassed and subject to other attacks by police on Saturday evening, a day after the widely condemned arrest of a CNN reporter live on air. Los Angeles Times journalist Molly Hennessy-Fiske, who was reporting outside the Fifth Precinct in Minneapolis, said she was with a group of about a dozen journalists when the Minnesota State Patrol “fired tear gas canisters on us at point blank range.” “I was saying: ‘Where do we go?’ They did not tell us where to go. They didn’t direct us. They just fired on us,” she said
For nearly a decade, the UN Security Council has been frequently paralyzed by Russia’s obstinacy over the Syrian crisis. Today, however, it is the US-China rivalry that has infected a growing array of issues, according to officials and diplomats. As recently as 2017, an understanding between Washington and Beijing allowed the UN on three occasions — involving separate sets of economic sanctions — to project international unity in the face of the North Korean nuclear threat. Three years later, the COVID-19 pandemic has seen a ferocious competition erupt between the UN’s two main contributors, prompting UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on May
INDIA Pride to be preserved The nation would not let its “pride be hurt” in its latest border flare-ups with China, but is determined to settle the dispute through talks, Minister of Defense Rajnath Singh said in a television interview late on Saturday. “Situations arise with China. It has happened before,” Singh said, adding that the government was striving to make sure “tension does not escalate.” The government has turned down US President Donald Trump’s offer to mediate, he said. IRAN Speaker says talks futile Newly elected Parliament Speaker Mohammad-Bagher Ghalibaf yesterday said that any negotiations with the US would be “futile.” The nation’s
HISTORIC FLIGHT: The astronauts named their capsule ‘Endeavour,’ after the space shuttle on which they both flew, while Elon Musk said he was overcome with emotion Two veteran NASA astronauts headed for the International Space Station (ISS) yesterday after Elon Musk’s SpaceX on Saturday became the first commercial company to launch a rocket carrying humans into orbit, ushering in a new era in space travel. SpaceX’s two-stage Falcon 9 rocket with astronauts Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley aboard blasted off flawlessly in a cloud of bright orange flames and smoke from the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida, for a 19-hour voyage to the space station. “Let’s light this candle,” Hurley, the mission commander, told SpaceX mission control in Hawthorne, California, before liftoff at 3:22pm from NASA’s