Malaysia's top police official yesterday warned of a "real and possible" threat of terrorism in the Malacca Straits, one of the world's most vital trade-related waterways.
Inspector-General of the Royal Malaysian Police Musa Hassan said maritime security concerns included piracy and extortion of fishermen in the straits.
But touching on a topic rarely discussed by Malaysian officials, Musa said terrorist attacks on the crucial trade route would cripple economies globally, and he called for continued vigilance.
"Another threat which is real and possible that is lurking in the strait is maritime terrorism," Musa told a conference of maritime industry experts discussing security threats.
MARITIME TERRORISM
Forms of maritime terrorism of "particular concern" included attacks on ships, the hijacking of ships carrying dangerous materials and the use of vessels to attack ports or land facilities, Musa said.
"If terrorists were to command a ship transporting LPG [liquefied petroleum gas] for a suicide mission in the strait, such an act would devastate Southeast Asia's economic environment and severely disrupt trade," he said in his keynote address.
More than 30 percent of world trade passes through the Malacca Straits, and the volume of traffic has increased dramatically, up 42 percent from 44,000 ships in 1999 to 62,600 ships in 2005.
OIL
Half of the world's oil shipments also travel through the waterway, where piracy attacks have prompted concerns among East Asian nations who rely on fuel shipments.
"A significant impediment to the flow of oil would be a direct threat to the national security of countries that are highly dependent, particularly Japan and South Korea," Musa said.
"It would mean re-routing the vessels, which would lead to skyrocketing freight and insurance rates and ... a devastating global economic impact," he said.
Maintaining and securing the waterway has always been regarded as the responsibility of the littoral states who border the sea lane -- Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia.
STANDBY
Separately, Pottengal Mukundan, the London-based director of the International Maritime Bureau, which organized the conference, said that governments needed to stay on standby for any terror attacks.
"There is always the possibility of a terror attack. We need to be prepared for it," Mukundan said.
He also said the war against pirates was not over in the straits despite a fall in attacks in recent years after Indonesia boosted maritime patrols.
"There is no room for complacency. The moment the pirates sense law enforcement will not respond promptly, the attacks will resume," he told the conference.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told