Suspected Islamic militants yesterday seized an Italian priest at gunpoint in the trouble-torn southern Philippines, police officials and a senior church leader said.
Giancarlo Bossi, 57, was grabbed by up to 10 men near the coastal village of Bulawan in Zamboanga Sibugay Province after celebrating a mass or shortly before, police said in a report.
Police regional chief director Jaime Caringal said Bossi was then taken to a waiting boat, which sped towards a Muslim-populated area of the predominantly Catholic country.
renegade
Police identified the leader of the gunmen as Aka Kedie, a renegade leader associated with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), which has been fighting for an independent Islamic state in the southern Philippines since 1978.
The MILF denied it had played any part in the priest's kidnapping, but said it was prepared to help the government secure his release.
Bossi has been employed as a Christian missionary in the area for the past 10 years for the Rome-based Pontifical Institute for Foreign Missions (PIME), said his superior, Father Gianni Sandalo.
"We are awaiting the reports concerning his abduction," Sandalo told the Zamboanga-based Mindanao Examiner, a weekly newspaper.
"Father Bossi is a good man and there is no reason to hold him against his will," he said in an appeal to the abductors of the priest.
manhunt
In October 2001, renegade MILF members seized another priest from his home. Military and police mounted a huge manhunt, but he escaped on his own some six months later.
MILF spokesman Eid Kabalu said that the 12,000-strong group is in the final stages of peace talks with Manila and abides by an existing truce.
He condemned Bossi's kidnapping as un-Islamic, adding that Kedie's group has long ceased to obey the MILF command structure.
"That group is not MILF. We express our readiness to extend whatever assistance we can give to the Philippine authorities," Kabalu said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told