The second major Southern California brushfire last week continued to burn on Friday on the resort island of Santa Catalina. But Avalon, the island's major town, appeared to have been spared and some of the thousands of people who had been evacuated began returning from the mainland.
The fire, whose cause remains undetermined, broke out on Thursday afternoon and for a time threatened Avalon, which has a population of about 3,300.
But hundreds of firefighters, aided by dampening air, wind shifts, and a swarm of helicopters and planes dropping water and fire retardant, beat back the blaze, which by late on Friday afternoon was confined to the tinder-dry mountains of the island, about 35km off the coast.
In all, about 3,800 people, including tourists, were evacuated overnight from Catalina and brought here to Long Beach aboard ferries.
About 140 people spent Thursday night at an evacuation post at a high school in Long Beach.
The blaze charred more than 1,700 hectares of the narrow, 196.8km2 island whose vast, hilly parkland, abundant wildlife, and winding, cobblestone roads dotted with colorful bungalows make it a favorite getaway for Angelenos.
A herd of bison, whose forebears were brought over decades ago for a movie shoot, and four newly hatched eaglets were reported safe.
Only one house and a handful of small structures were burned. No serious injuries were reported.
Ferries carried people off the island while military hovercraft had to be used to take dozens of fire trucks and other apparatus to the island. In all, more than 700 firefighters, 44 fire engines, nine helicopters, and five airplanes from state, federal, and local agencies fought the blaze.
Many of the evacuees were workers originally from Jalisco, Mexico. Representatives from the Mexican Consulate in Los Angeles arrived in Long Beach to assist them.
"When we got on the boat, we were in a panic because we could feel the heat in the air," said Elsa Contreras, 33, who evacuated with her husband and their seven children, one of whom was vomiting from the smoke.
"It was very stressful, getting all the children," Contreras said. "I didn't want to leave separately without my husband and children."
Rogelio Hernandez, 33, with his wife and two-year-old son, said the police had given residents of his apartment building five minutes to evacuate as flames encroached on Thursday.
"We didn't think it was going to get this bad," Hernandez said.
The fire was a testament to just how dry the region is, having received only two inches of rain since January.
Catalina has experienced wildfires before, including one that burned Avalon in 1915, but its offshore location with cool, damp winds tends to keep fires in check.
Once again, officials urged residents to take precautions such as clearing brush away from homes.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative