A nationwide security alert was issued across Thailand after a bomb exploded outside a Bangkok shopping center that was also hit in a wave of New Year's Eve attacks, officials said yesterday.
The device blew up at a telephone booth in front of the Major Cineplex Ratchayothin shopping centre on the northern outskirts of the city late on Monday.
No one was injured.
"There is a row of three phone booths and the bomb exploded in one of them. The glass was shattered, but there were no casualties," Bangkok city police spokesman Colonel Supisan Pakdinarunart said.
The shopping center was among nine places in Bangkok bombed on New Year's Eve, blasts that killed three people and injured dozens around the capital.
Those attacks were followed by a coordinated arson and bombing spree across the insurgency-hit, mainly-Muslim southern provinces at the start of the Lunar New Year in February. The incidents left nine dead and 44 injured and were blamed on Islamic separatists.
Interior Minister Aree Wongariya declined to speculate about who might be behind the latest blast, but said he had ordered all of Thailand's provinces to boost security for the upcoming Buddhist New Year holiday.
"We have to provide security everywhere. I have ordered all provincial governors to be on alert, and have dispatched our informants to find out about any more possible attacks," he said.
The army has for months warned of possible attacks during Songkran, the Buddhist New Year celebrations, which begin on Friday and run for five days.
Police and security officials made efforts to downplay concerns that the blast was linked either to the unrest in the south or to the Bangkok bombings.
A senior intelligence official who spoke on condition of anonymity said that security agencies would divert some resources from the insurgency in the south to step up their guard in the capital during the holiday.
"We will give more importance to Bangkok rather than the three southern provinces," he said.
Police said they believed the bomb was meant to cause panic rather than damage, and could have been related to business disputes linked to the shopping center.
"It was a weak bomb that caused a loud noise, but was not meant to kill. That's different from the New Year Eve bombings," Bangkok Metropolitan Police Commander Adisorn Noncie said.
"It's unlikely that it was connected with the unrest in the south or the New Year bomb attacks. It was just someone wanting to cause panic," he said.
Thailand's top security official, Prakit Prachonpachanuk, who heads the National Security Council, said Monday's blast would not likely prompt the government to declare a state of emergency in Bangkok.
"We have to be prudent about declaring a state of emergency, and consider whether it's appropriate in response to the situation," he said.
Thailand's junta leader Sonthi Boonyaratglin had urged the government to declare an emergency in Bangkok to crack down on small protests against the military regime. So far, the government has refused.
The regime ousted former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra in a military-backed coup in September last year citing alleged corruption of the Thaksin government, and following months of political unrest.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against