The Sri Lankan military urged Tamil Tiger rebels fleeing attacks by army and commandos in the east to surrender yesterday, as operations against the insurgents' camps intensified.
Village heads in Ampara district were told to deliver the announcement to Tamil Tiger rebels who were in hiding or on the run after four rebel bases and seven smaller camps fell to military control last week, military spokesman Brigadier Prasad Samarasinghe said.
Samarasinghe urged the rebels to hand themselves in at the nearest police or army post.
The mainstream Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) ridiculed the idea.
"It is not an issue worth commenting upon," rebel spokesman Rasiah Ilanthirayan said from Kilinochchi.
"Now and then they [the military] make such meaningless announcements, but we are not bothered," he said.
Ilanthirayan admitted, however, that Sri Lankan forces had moved into some rebel-held areas in Ampara.
"Of course they made advances to our territory in Ampara, but then in Ampara we operate in a guerrilla mode," he said, adding that they are continually on the move.
Separately, Sri Lankan troops fatally shot two rebels who confronted them while on a foot patrol in eastern Sri Lanka.
The troops recovered two AK-47 automatic rifles, ammunition and two hand grenades from the dead men, who were members of the LTTE, Samarasinghe said.
The incident happened late on Sunday in Batticaloa district, which adjoins Ampara.
Also late on Sunday, the military discovered two bombs, locally called Claymore mines, in the northern towns of Vavuniya and Jaffna, Samarasinghe said. The mines are the preferred weapon of the rebels.
The rebels have been fighting for over 20 years for a separate homeland for the country's 3.1 million minority Tamils, who have suffered decades of discrimination by the majority Sinhalese.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread
RISKY BUSINESS: The Chinese firm has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of 5G equipment not covered by US sanctions, but fears a wider ban could be announced in the UK Huawei Technologies Co believes it can supply 5G hardware unaffected by US sanctions to the UK for the next five years, sidestepping the expected conclusion of British emergency review on Tuesday. The company has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of kit, but fears a wider ban on its equipment is to be unveiled to placate rebel British Conservative Party lawmakers, who say that the Chinese supplier represents a national security risk. The British government on Friday said that it was “very likely” that British Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden would make a statement to parliament on Tuesday