Britain's top law enforcement official on Wednesday launched an inquiry into how files on hundreds of criminals were ignored instead of being entered into police computers.
The gaffe means that criminals convicted abroad, including rapists, murderers and pedophiles, would not be recognized when applying for jobs dealing with vulnerable people, such as school children.
Home Secretary John Reid summoned senior officials from the Home Office, which is responsible for public safety in Britain, to an urgent meeting after the Association of Chief Police Officers said that the information -- more than 27,000 pages -- was "left sitting in desk files."
Officials are now checking whether any of the more than 500 serious offenders included in the files have eluded detection.
Reid told parliament he expected that process to be complete in a matter of days.
"This is a problem that was some years in the making," Reid told lawmakers on Wednesday.
In a statement, the police chief's association said it alerted the Home Office about the problem in October and submitted a bid for funding to correct it.
The bid was rejected, and officials projected it would take at least a year to clear up the records backlog, the association said.
Reid claimed he was not informed by his officials when the police association first reported the problem.
Opposition politicians criticized the government's handling of the files -- the second major criminal records scandal in less than a year.
Reid took over at the Home Office in May, after a series of errors that led to the dismissal of former minister Charles Clarke.
Foreign criminals had been released from prisons without being considered for deportation.
"You've confirmed that yet again the government has failed in its central duty of protecting the public," Conservative party leader David Cameron said.
Reid defended the government, saying the system for providing information from other jurisdictions was "patchy."
He said nearly half of the serious offenders' names had been placed in the police computer; the rest of the names required more investigation.
"This blunder not only exposes this government's administrative incompetence, it puts the British public at greater risk from these offenders," Liberal Democrat spokesman Nick Clegg said in a statement.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The