Australia's opposition Labor Party elected former diplomat Kevin Rudd as its new leader yesterday in a bold gambit to boost its chances of ousting Prime Minister John Howard in elections next year.
Rudd, 49, is the fifth Labor leader Howard has faced in the decade since his conservative coalition won power and the fourth in four years, as the center-left opposition party has been rent by bitter infighting.
At yesterday's meeting, Australian Labor Party federal politicians voted 49-39 to dump incumbent leader Kim Beazley, who had failed to put a dent in Howard's popularity.
Rudd, 49, pledged to end the rhetoric and "short-termism" of Australian politics, saying the country faced stark choices because of Howard's policies.
"This fork in the road has emerged because John Howard has taken a bridge too far in industrial relations, a bridge too far in Iraq, a bridge too far on climate change," Rudd said.
Rudd, 49, was elected to federal parliament in 1998 after working for the state Labor government in Queensland. He also had a lengthy career as a diplomat, with postings to Stockholm and Beijing.
A fluent Chinese speaker, he also worked as a China consultant to Australian companies between the various stages of his political career.
Slightly-built, impeccably suited and bespectacled, Rudd has been nicknamed "Harry Potter" and "Pixie" in Canberra, where some pundits claim he lacks the common touch the Australian public normally demands in its leaders.
But he has described himself as a "very determined bastard" with the steel needed to unseat Howard.
Rudd endured a tough childhood: he was temporarily forced to sleep in a car at the age of 11 when his family was evicted from their farm following the death of his father in a road accident.
Howard, who beat Rudd's predecessor Beazley in elections in 1998 and 2001, accused the new leader of being more style than substance.
"The Labor Party has reshackled itself to the past today," Howard said. "Kevin Rudd has said that he's taking Australia back to a union-dominated past."
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread
RISKY BUSINESS: The Chinese firm has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of 5G equipment not covered by US sanctions, but fears a wider ban could be announced in the UK Huawei Technologies Co believes it can supply 5G hardware unaffected by US sanctions to the UK for the next five years, sidestepping the expected conclusion of British emergency review on Tuesday. The company has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of kit, but fears a wider ban on its equipment is to be unveiled to placate rebel British Conservative Party lawmakers, who say that the Chinese supplier represents a national security risk. The British government on Friday said that it was “very likely” that British Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden would make a statement to parliament on Tuesday