US President George W. Bush has approved a new national space policy aimed at denying "adversaries'" the use of space capabilities deemed hostile to US interests.
Bush authorized the new policy on Aug. 31 and the document, which replaces a 1996 space policy, was published quietly by the White House on Oct. 6.
"[US] national security is critically dependent upon space capabilities, and this dependence will grow," the strategic document says.
"The [US] will preserve its rights, capabilities, and freedom of action in space; ... and deny, if necessary, adversaries the use of space capabilities hostile to [its] national interests," it says, adding that freedom of action in space is as important to the US as air and sea power.
The text also rejects any treaties forbidding space weapons: "The [US] will oppose the development of new legal regimes or other restrictions that seek to prohibit or limit [its] access to or use of space."
The US government assured this new policy was not a first step toward a weaponization of space.
"It's not a shift in policy," White House spokesman Tony Snow told journalists.
"The notion that you would do defense from space is different than the weaponization of space," he added.
The new policy, however, has raised some eyebrows.
"While this policy does not explicitly say we are not going to shoot satellites or we are going to put weapons in space, it does, it seems to me, open the door toward that," said Theresa Hitchens, director of the Center for Defense Information.
According to Hitchens, this reading was confirmed by a series of US Army documents that clearly express interest in space weapons.
She noted the new policy also represents a significant shift from its predecessor initiated under then-president Bill Clinton.
"This is a much more unilateralist vision of space. The [US] in this policy seeks to establish its rights but fails to acknowledge the rights of other countries in space, where the Clinton policy was very careful to acknowledge the rights of all nations in space," Hitchens said.
The US currently enjoys supremacy in space, while Russia has lost most of its means and China is still in the development phase.
The US is the only country capable of using satellites for combat operations and is doing it better and better if one compares the two wars in the Gulf and wars in the Balkans, Afghanistan and Iraq, Michael O'Hanlon, a researcher at the Brookings Institution, testified during a congressional hearing in June.
But the US supremacy in space faces threats from other countries.
"The [US] is in particular concerned about China," Hitchens said.
"While both China and Russia have been promoting a space weapons ban, it is clear to me that the Chinese at the same time are considering ways to do damage to US space assets," she said.
Before becoming Bush's secretary of defense, Donald Rumsfeld had warned against a "Space Pearl Harbor" and insisted US interests needed to be better protected.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told