The special Iraqi court that is trying former president Saddam Hussein said on Tuesday that it had charged the president and six former officials with attempting to exterminate the Kurdish race in massacres throughout the 1980s that killed nearly 100,000 civilians.
The case is the first against Saddam to address the large-scale human rights violations committed during his decades in power, the same crimes the Bush administration has often cited to justify its costly invasion of Iraq.
The most serious of the three charges brought against Saddam and his co-defendants is genocide.
"It was during this campaign that thousands of women, children and men were buried in mass graves in many locations," Raid Juhi, the chief judge of the Iraqi High Tribunal's investigative court, said at a news conference in the afternoon.
"The natives of Kurdistan suffered very hard living conditions, forced relocation and illegal detention for a large number of people," he said.
The bloody campaign, called Anfal, unfolded from 1980 to 1988 in the rugged Kurdish homeland of northern Iraq, as Saddam was also deploying the Iraqi army in the protracted war against Iran to the east. Thousands of villages were razed, and families that escaped death squads or were allowed to live were forced to relocate into the hinterlands. The Kurds tried to fight back with their militiamen, called the pesh merga, but were crushed with chemical attacks and aerial assaults.
Among the co-defendants are Ali Hassan al-Majid, also known as "Chemical Ali," a senior Baath Party official accused of overseeing gas attacks and one of Saddam's most feared aides.
Another defendant, Farhan Mutlak al-Jubouri, a former army general, is the brother of one of the current deputy prime ministers, Abid Mutlak al-Jubouri, from a prominent Sunni Arab tribe.
Juhi said it will be up to other judges to review the charges and decide when to begin the trial. It is unclear whether the Anfal trial would start before the end of the current ongoing trial, in which Saddam and seven co-defendants, all different than those in the Anfal case, are being charged with the torture and killings of 148 men and boys from the Shiite village of Dujail.
Those killings took place after a failed assassination attempt against Saddam in 1982.
The Dujail trial is entering its final phase, in which the court will hear arguments from the defense lawyers and the prosecutor.
If a death sentence is handed down to Saddam in that trial, it is unclear whether the tribunal would carry out the execution before other cases, including Anfal, begin or are concluded. Juhi said on Tuesday that it was too soon to speculate about the issue.
Human-right observers have sharply criticized the shortcomings of the tribunal.
Since the start, the trial has been plagued by the assassinations of a judge and lawyer, political jockeying among judges and government officials, and ambiguous witness testimony.
The levying of charges in Anfal brings a new set of problems, they say. If the case were to proceed concurrent to the Dujail trial, then Saddam's defense team could be placed at an unfair disadvantage, forced to juggle two trials.
The prosecutors and judges would not have that problem; a separate prosecutor and five-judge panel will oversee the Anfal trial.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The