An avalanche of snow buried an outdoor hot spring in northern Japan yesterday, leaving one person dead and 10 injured, a news agency reported.
A 20-year-old man pulled from the snow almost six hours after the avalanche struck has died, Kyodo News said.
Masakatsu Ito, an official at nearby Omagari Fire Station, said the man was being taken to a hospital, but could not confirm his death.
Eight women and two men were rescued earlier yesterday and taken to nearby hospitals, none in critical condition, Ito said.
The avalanche hit an outdoor bath at a traditional Japanese inn in Akita, 450km north of Tokyo, apparently burying bathers and staff who were cleaning the pool, officials said.
Rescuers were still digging through snow in search of at least two missing people, believed to be hotel maintenance workers, said area police official Kazutami Ogasawara.
A separate snow avalanche earlier yesterday also buried a 65-year-old employee at an inn about 2km away, Ogasawara said. Rescue efforts were under way, he said.
The area has seven inns -- some so popular that rooms are booked at least a year in advance, said Akita Prefecture official Yoshiyuki Maekawa.
Also in Akita, a separate snow avalanche covered a railway track, forcing a high-speed "bullet train" to make an emergency stop after its first few cars smashed into the mound of snow, police said.
The train did not derail, and none of its 300-odd passengers were injured.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses