Hurricane evacuees from Louisiana told federal and state officials at forums across the southern US on Saturday that what they want most when their state is rebuilt are affordable housing and stronger levees.
Some evacuees at the "Louisiana Speaks" forums also worried that officials have no real plans to restore certain areas, such as impoverished parts of New Orleans.
"This [forum] is a good idea," Tereece Johnson, 40, said during the event held in Atlanta. "But is it going to accomplish something? I can't say."
Most of the 30 forums, sponsored by the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Louisiana Recovery Authority, were held in Louisiana. Others were held in cities where tens of thousands of Louisiana residents fled, including Atlanta and Houston.
Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated South Louisiana, destroying about 217,000 homes and 18,000 businesses and causing US$25 billion in insured losses. The state expects roughly US$10 billion in federal funding for rebuilding, and Saturday's forums were part of a planning process in figuring out how to best use that money, state officials said.
Input from Saturday's meetings is to be incorporated in a long-term regional plan for rebuilding South Louisiana.
But some were not yet ready to talk about the future.
"You're talking about rebuilding?" shrieked Denise Herbert, 47, momentarily silencing about 100 people gathered at a forum in Atlanta.
"I want somebody to tell me where my mother is now!" said Herbert, referring to 82-year-old Ethel Anna Herbert, who went missing more than five months ago.
At the Atlanta forum, Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco talked to Herbert and other evacuees, who worried about immediate needs like rental assistance and help with mental anguish.
"We have to do a combination of all of that. We have to take care of the immediate needs now and we have to work for the future. And that has to be done simultaneously."
More than 1,300 Katrina-related deaths have been reported across five states, with 1,080 of those from Louisiana. As Herbert noted, more than 3,000 people are still officially unaccounted for.
Many evacuees said the availability of affordable housing will make or break their decision to return to New Orleans.
"I'd like to go back -- if I can get suitable housing," said Joseph Howard, 48, a hospital and housekeeping worker.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying