The US military will not hand over jails or individual detainees to Iraqi authorities until they demonstrate higher standards of care, a US official said, amid continued violence in the country that left at least 16 dead yesterday.
Lieutenant Colonel Barry Johnson said detention facilities in Iraq will be transferred over time to Iraqi officials but they must first show that the rights of detainees are safeguarded and that international law on the treatment of prisoners is being followed.
"A specific timeline for doing this is difficult to project at this stage with so many variables," Johnson, a military spokesman, said on Sunday. "The Iraqis are committed to doing this right and will not rush to failure. The transition will be based on meeting standards, not on a timeline."
He was commenting on a New York Times story on Sunday that was the first to report prison facilities wouldn't be handed over until Iraqi officials improved standards.
Prisons have been one of the sore points between the Shiite Muslim majority and Sunni Arabs, a long-dominant minority that saw its power evaporate with Saddam Hussein's overthrow. US officials are pushing to heal the rift as a way to weaken support for the Sunni-led insurgency.
US Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad said earlier this month that at least 120 abused prisoners had been found inside two jails controlled by the Shiite-run Iraqi Interior Ministry.
Sunni Arabs long have complained about abuse and torture by Interior Ministry security forces. Interior Minister Bayan Jabr contends torture allegations have been exaggerated by people who sympathize with insurgents.
Johnson said that in preparation for the eventual handover of prisons, the US Department of Justice is training Iraqi prison guards. About 300 have completed the course, he said.
Meanwhile, at least 16 people died in the latest violence in Iraq yesterday.
Three Iraqis died in a car blast in central Baghdad, witnesses said.
A car driven by a suicide bomber attacked an Iraqi police patrol, killing two policemen and one civilian, they said.
An ambulance rushed to the scene of the explosion as police cordoned off the area.
A shootout between Iraqi police and gunmen in Bahraz, 60km north-east of Baghdad, left 11 dead and three injured, witnesses said.
When gunmen attacked a checkpoint patrolled by Iraqi police and exchanged fire with them, five policemen and six gunmen were killed.
Three other policemen were injured.
Iraqi police vehicles and ambulances rushed to the scene to transfer the injured to the hospital.
In al-Mahmodiya, 30km south of Baghdad, gunmen opened fire on a cargo truck yesterday, killing two Iraqi civilians, a police source said.
The source said that the cargo truck carrying various products, including alcohol, was set on fire by the gunmen after they killed the driver and his assistant.
A civil defense vehicle rushed to the scene to put out the fire and transfer the victims to a nearby hospital.
also see story:
Iraqis experience year of contrasts
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying