Not so long ago, Mohammad Tahir was a government official with a comfortable salary and a position in the Defense Ministry. Today, he sells bread from a mud-and-wood shack along the side of a road.
To Tahir, democracy is a distant dream.
"It appears our country is moving in that direction," he said as just a few kilometers away the final preparations were being made to open Afghanistan's first parliament in more than 30 years. "But my life is getting worse."
PHOTO: AP
Though proud to be once again participating in the administration of their own government, the anticipation many Afghans feel ahead of the opening of parliament on Monday is marred by deep-rooted pessimism and doubt.
Like Tahir, many cite a litany of pressing day-to-day concerns -- rising unemployment and prices, long stretches without electricity, the dangers of crime and the random violence of an ongoing insurgency.
"I'm not optimistic at all," Tahir said as a group of fellow shopkeepers nearby nodded in agreement. "We've done our part. Now it is up to the politicians to do theirs."
In a historic vote, Afghans filled the 249-seat Wolesi Jirga in elections three months ago. They also elected provincial councils that then chose two-thirds of the 102-seat upper chamber, the Meshrano Jirga.
President Hamid Karzai, a popular figure here, appointed the remaining 34 members.
The elections were generally seen as a success and marked a major step forward after the ousting of the hardline Taliban regime four years ago. It will be the first time parliament has convened in this war and strife-torn country since 1973.
The elections were even more impressive considering the hurdles Afghanistan continues to face. After three decades of occupation and civil war, its economy is a shambles and its security is in large part in the hands of the 20,000 US troops and thousands of international peacekeepers deployed here. Bombings and suicide attacks are a daily fact of life.
So on one point everyone agrees -- the road ahead will be bumpy.
Many critics -- and average Afghans such as Tahir -- believe the legitimacy of the parliamentary elections was undermined by the government's failure to keep warlords from strong-arming their way into office.
"The opening of parliament will not be viewed by many Afghans as a positive step," Saman Zia-Zarifi said, the research director for the Asia division of New York-based Human Rights Watch. "They will see it as a potential disaster."
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying