US officials on Thursday defended the deadly shooting of a threatening air passenger as necessary to protect the flying public and the White House said an investigation will determine whether there were lessons to be learned from the incident.
The two federal air marshals involved in the shooting of an American Airlines passenger were put on paid leave while the incident at Miami International Airport was investigated, said air marshal spokesman Dave Adams.
"In any law enforcement shooting, it's not just with the federal air marshals, they have to conduct an internal investigation," Adams said.
"At this time the [marshals] are on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of this investigation," he added.
The incident at the airport was the first time a passenger had been shot by air marshals since the enforcement program was beefed up after the Sept. 11, 2001, hijacked airline attacks.
"This incident demonstrates the critical role that air marshals play in aviation security today," Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke said.
Officials said the passenger, identified as Rigoberto Alpizar, 44, indicated he was carrying a bomb in his bag as he boarded the plane for a flight to Orlando.
Adams said the two air marshals followed "textbook training" when they shot Alpizar after he ran off the airplane and ignored demands to stop and put down his bag.
Witnesses said Alpizar appeared to be mentally ill. Law enforcement officials said later there was no sign of a bomb.
Alpizar had been agitated before boarding the plane and was singing Go Down Moses as his wife tried to calm him, a fellow passenger said.
"The wife was telling him, `Calm down. Let other people get on the plane. It will be all right,'" Alan Tirpak said on Thursday.
"I thought maybe he's afraid of flying," Tirpak said.
Tirpak took his seat, and Rigoberto Alpizar, 44, and his wife eventually boarded the plane. Then, a few minutes before the plane was to pull away, Alpizar bolted up the aisle and onto the jetway, where two air marshals confronted him.
"He was belligerent. He threatened that he had a bomb in his backpack," said Brian Doyle, spokesman for the US Homeland Security Department.
"The officers clearly identified themselves and yelled at him to `get down, get down.' Instead, he made a move toward the backpack," Doyle said.
Agents are trained to shoot to stop a threat, and the situation on the jetway at Miami International Airport on Wednesday appeared to pose one, said John Amat, a deputy with the US Marshals Service in Miami.
White House spokesman Scott McClellan also said on Thursday that the two air marshals appeared to have acted properly when they shot to kill.
Both air marshals were hired in 2002 from other federal law enforcement agencies and are now on administrative leave, as is routine, Doyle said.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying