US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and her Romanian counterpart signed a historic pact establishing the first US military bases in a former Warsaw Pact country.
The US takeover of bases near the Black Sea -- putting US forces within closer striking distance of potential targets in the Middle East and Central Asia -- would help "take terrorists off the streets" and save lives around the world, Rice said on Tuesday.
She called Romania -- beset by allegations that it hosted a secret CIA prison -- "a strong friend with whom we share common values."
Rice, hailing Romania as one of the US' "best allies," signed the agreement with Romanian Foreign Minister Mihai Razvan Ungureanu.
"We have a great committed partner in Romania to make a more peaceful world," Rice said before a signing ceremony in the ornate Cotroceni Palace.
"This is a symbol of burgeoning and brightening relations," she said.
President Traian Basescu, meanwhile, denied allegations that Romania hosted a covert CIA detention center and said all facilities would be open to scrutiny to prove the ex-communist country has nothing to hide.
"There was no such thing," he said, calling allegations based on aircraft movements "baseless."
New York-based Human Rights Watch, citing flight records of planes it said had direct or indirect CIA links, has pointed to Romania's Mihail Kogalniceanu Air Base as among suspicious sites that may have hosted a secret prison. Top Romanian officials and the Pentagon have denied it.
The air base is among several military installations over which the US will assume control under the agreement signed on Tuesday.
Other installations in the agreement include Babadag in the Black Sea inland region, Cincu in the mountains of central Romania and Smardan in eastern Romania, which will be used for all types of weapons training.
There will be 100 personnel based in Mihail Kogalniceanu, and up to 1,500 rotational troops will use the base at any one time, according to the US State Department. The bases will be small and rotational.
Russian legislation
Meanwhile, Rice yesterday expressed concern over restrictive draft Russian legislation regulating non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
"We hope the importance of NGOs to a stable, democratic environment would be understood by the Russian Federation," Rice said at a joint news conference in Kiev with Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko.
The bill on non-commercial organizations, which has been approved by the Kremlin-controlled Duma in the first of three required readings, would require local branches of foreign NGOs to reregister as de-facto Russian entities, subject to stricter financial and legal restrictions.
Critics say the bill is another step in the Kremlin's effort to tighten control over society following the abolition of popular elections for governors in Russia's far-flung regions, effective state takeover of television and an increasingly tame parliament.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying