A beaming Mickey Mouse wasn't enough to please a Hong Kong consumer activist who is suing Disney's new theme park for nearly HK$1,400 (US$179) for poor crowd management.
Hung Wah-fung filed the case in a small claims court on Monday -- the resort's opening day -- a judiciary spokeswoman said.
Hung bought four tickets for his family to the park last week on a charity day when a capacity crowd of nearly 30,000 squeezed into the 126-hectare resort, causing long lines at rides and filling restaurants and cafes.
PHOTO: EPA
Some also complained of waits of up to three hours for rides and meals.
"I was shocked by the poor crowd management of the park," Hung was quoted as saying by the South China Morning Post.
"Visitors had to spend hours in the rain queuing for rides and food. It seems that the park only wants to squeeze as many people in ... as possible in order to make money," said Hung, who has visited Disneyland in Paris and Tokyo.
"The government has invested HK$20 billion in the park and every cent of it is earned by taxpayers through hard work," he said. "However, instead of hospitality, they were treated like guinea pigs. This is intolerable."
Hung is suing for breach of service and requested that his ticket costs and transport expenses be reimbursed and given to charity.
The case will be heard on Nov. 9.
Meanwhile, newspapers in the territory yesterday slammed Chinese tourists who visited the park on on Monday for smoking in nonsmoking areas, going barefoot and letting their children urinate in public.
The Apple Daily described the behavior of mainland tourists as "disgraceful" while acknowledging that they "brought good business" to the park.
The park estimated that about a third of its 16,000 visitors on Monday were from China.
The Ming Pao Daily reported yesterday that Chinese visitors disregarded the park's rules and smoked cigarettes in restaurants and other nonsmoking areas.
It ran a photo showing a woman in a Minnie Mouse cap smoking in an open area.
The newspaper carried another photograph showing a woman from Guangdong Province helping a young child loosen his trousers to urinate beside a flower bed.
The Apple Daily had a similar photograph of a child urinating near one of the park's restaurants and another shot of four mainland women resting on the ground barefoot.
A cleaner at the park complained that there were more cigarette butts to pick up on Monday compared to pre-opening rehearsal days, when visitors were mostly Hong Kong residents, the report said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The