The US must keep watch over China's military buildup and plan its own defense strategy accordingly, analysts said Thursday at an event sponsored by the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think-tank.
China has been investing in aircraft, munitions and communications systems while also overhauling its military management and training policies, analysts on the panel said. The Pentagon must consider the ramifications of these changes as it plots its own 20-year strategy during this year's quadrennial defense review.
Dan Goure of the Lexington Institute, a Washington-area defense policy group, said the US needs to invest in enough new destroyers, submarines and stealth aircraft to hold its own against a modern Chinese military. He said the US runs the risk of losing sight of this need as it focuses on fighting terrorists and other rogue adversaries.
"We're going to have to balance that," Goure said.
China's new military might is probably aimed at protecting its coastline and also building strength in case of conflict in the Taiwan Strait, panelists said. China probably isn't directly planning to confront the US, but there could be a showdown if any of the principal players miscalculates and sparks a conflict, they said.
The Pentagon needs to revisit budget-driven cuts to its state-of-the-art programs, Goure said. Under current budget plans, the Defense Department plans to buy only about 180 F/A-22 stealth fighters, made by Lockheed Martin Corp, down from initial expectations of 750 new planes.
Ship purchases also have been slashed. The Navy now expects to buy only five DD(X) destroyers in the next six years, four fewer than previous plans called for, and it also has cut its expected purchases of Virginia-class submarines. Both types of vessel are made by Northrop Grumman Corp and General Dynamics Corp and carry multibillion-dollar price tags.
Budget concerns should be at the forefront of any consideration of China-related strategy issues, said Michael Krepon of the Henry L. Stimson Center, an independent policy group that studies peace and security issues. China owns more than US$230 billion in US government securities, meaning the US pays it billions of dollars in interest each year.
``When we talk about China's military modernization program, we also need to talk about our debt,'' Krepon said, saying the US is effectively subsidizing China's defense purchases.
Krepon and Heritage Foundation fellow Baker Spring squared off over whether the US should invest in space-based weapons. Krepon argued that the US could open itself to new vulnerabilities by escalating military conflict in space, while Spring said the US needs to invest now so that it will have ready defenses in the case of an attack.
Krepon and other analysts say that the US shouldn't focus on high-tech space weapons because there are so many low-tech ways to knock out a satellite.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in