Hong Kong's top court yesterday overturned criminal convictions against eight followers of the Falun Gong spiritual group accused of assaulting and obstructing police in a 2002 protest, in a case seen as a key test of judicial independence under Chinese rule.
"The freedom to demonstrate peacefully is a constitutional right," a summary of the court ruling said.
The decision may bolster confidence in Hong Kong's legal system, which has faced criticism in recent weeks that judicial independence is being eroded by meddling from Beijing.
AP PHOTO: AP
"This decision gives more adequate protection to Hong Kong people, including Falun Gong followers, who protest and air their grievances peacefully," said Falun Gong spokesman Kan Hung-cheung (
The case stemmed from a March 2002 protest against China's ban on Falun Gong, which Beijing considers to be an evil cult that threatens society. The spiritual movement wasn't banned in Hong Kong, but authorities arrested the demonstrators outside China's liaison office in Hong Kong. They were convicted of assaulting and obstructing police -- the first such convictions against Falun Gong in the territory, sparking fears that Beijing's crackdown on the group was expanding to Hong Kong.
The public was riveted by the case initially, but interest dropped off as the legal battle dragged on into appeals.
The Court of Final Appeal yesterday overturned the convictions, saying the demonstration was legitimate and the arrests were illegal. The court ruled that the defendants couldn't be held accountable for their behavior during their illegal detention.
The court said in its summary that freedom of expression is "at the heart of Hong Kong's system and the courts should give them a generous interpretation."
The ruling came amid complaints from pro-democracy lawmakers and legal experts that Hong Kong's law has been compromised by Beijing's interference during the past month.
Last week, China's most powerful legislative body resolved a constitutional dispute over how long Hong Kong's next leader should serve. Pro-democracy lawmakers and legal experts thought Hong Kong's courts should have resolved the issue.
Yesterday's ruling didn't ease the worries of Law Yuk-kai (
Hong Kong courts could be "completely sidelined," Law said.
Beijing has issued legal decisions on Hong Kong twice before. The rulings blocked quick democratic reforms and limited the ability of Chinese to obtain residency rights in Hong Kong. Both stirred outrage.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The