Police armed with tear gas, bamboo batons and orders to use force if necessary were depoyed across Nepal's capital yesterday to block plans by the political opposition to protest King Gyanendra's power grab last month.
The constitutional monarch dismissed the government on Feb. 1, imposing emergency rule and suspending civil liberties.
Dozens of opposition politicians and other critics of the monarch have been arrested, including several journalists. Police on Monday night arrested prominent reporter Kanakmani Dixit, publisher of Himal magazine, but released him several hours later, according to an editor at the magazine. Authorities gave no reason for his detention.
Since the takeover, many politicians have gone underground and police have thwarted efforts by Nepal's five major political parties to hold big rallies.
A few demonstrators have taken to the streets, only to be quickly detained by police.
But Nepal's political parties said yesterday's anti-king rally in Katmandu would be much bigger than previous ones and vowed that demonstrators would not be deterred by the heavy security presence.
``We have urged all our supporters to fight a decisive movement to restore democracy in Nepal,'' said Meena Pandey, a leader of the Nepali Congress, the largest party.
Keshav Badal, a senior member of the Communist Party of Nepal, said party leaders would take part in the rally.
"We expect a much bigger response," he said.
But a government minister said the protest would not be permitted.
"Under emergency rule such protests are banned. We will do what needs to be done," Education Minister Radha Krishna Mainali said.
Senior police officers, speaking on condition of anonymity, said they had orders to break up any protest, even by using force if necessary. They said protesters would be arrested if they defy orders.
Meanwhile the king, who is also the supreme commander of the Royal Nepalese Army, made an appearance at the military parade grounds in the heart of Katmandu for an annual Hindu celebration.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding