The death toll from heavy rain and flooding caused by Typhoon Megi climbed to nine in Japan and three in South Korea yesterday, while 134 Japanese children on a cram-school camp were stranded in a mountain village, police said.
The bodies of two women were found in a swollen river in Kagawa prefecture, some 550km west of Tokyo yesterday, bringing the total number of the storm's victims in Japan since Tuesday to nine.
PHOTO: REUTERS
"We believe it is the body of a 72-year-old woman and her 45-year-old daughter ... who went missing after a flash flood hit the shelter where they were taking refuge," a local police spokesman said.
Three other people, aged between 74 and 84, were also found dead in Kagawa on Tuesday and Wednesday.
In the mountain village of Okawa in Kochi prefecture, about 170 people, including 134 schoolchildren aged 11 and 12, remained confined to a lodge where they were attending an examination cram school, cut off since Tuesday as heavy rain washed away all the roads to it.
In neighboring Ehime prefecture, a 78-year-old-man was found dead on Wednesday after being swept into an irrigation ditch, while on Tuesday a 74-year-old man was found dead in an overflowing irrigation channel.
Two more deaths were confirmed late on Wednesday in Ehime.
The heavy rainfall caused by Typhoon Megi was expected to continue through yesterday, the Meteorological Agency said.
The agency has warned of torrential rain, flooding and violent winds for southwestern Japan.
South Korea
Typhoon Megi killed three people on the southwest tip of South Korea and left two missing, emergency officials said yesterday.
The typhoon first hit South Korea on Wednesday, bringing heavy rains and leaving more than 2,400 people homeless, said Park Min-ju, an official at the country's disaster agency. More than 1,200 homes were flooded or destroyed.
One 47-year-old man was killed while working near a dam and a 65-year-old woman was walking on a bridge over a brook when she was swept away by the flood, said Kang Chung, another emergency official. Another 69-year-old man also was killed, but no details were available.
Missing were a 74-year-old man apparently swept away while working on a farm in Naju city, about 280km south of Seoul, and another 42-year-old man, Kang said.
All the casualties were in southwestern Cholla province.
The heavy weather also shut down seven airports and caused the cancelation of 41 domestic flights.
Bangladesh
Meanwhile, the UN Development Program is considering building floating homes in Bangladesh following the worst flooding in years to strike this low-lying country, a spokeswoman said yesterday.
Inspired by the floating dwellings of Vietnam, the houses would float permanently on a raft made of bamboo, reducing the impact of floods that regularly hit Bangladesh.
The proposal is one of eight by French architects Patrick Coulombel and Christian Coombes, commissioned by the UN body to come up with simple cost-effective solutions to flood-proof homes.
The country was devastated by flooding that also hit India and Nepal last month, washing away homes, destroying crops and livelihoods and killing more than 1,950 people across South Asia, including at least 726 in Bangladesh.
If adopted, the proposals would form part of a post-flood rehabilitation program funded by money raised from a US$210 million appeal launched last week by the UN.
Other solutions suggested by the architects, who are representatives of the organization Emergency Architects, include building homes on earth embankments and the construction of temporary floors above the level of the floodwater.
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
A ship anchored off the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was seized and taken toward Iran and another — a cargo ship near Oman — sank after being attacked, authorities said on Thursday, as tensions escalated near the Strait of Hormuz. It was not immediately clear who was behind these incidents, but they happened as a senior Iranian official reiterated his country’s claim of control over the waterway and another said it had a right to seize oil tankers connected to the US. The turmoil in the strait has been a sticking point for weeks in talks between the US and Iran to
Crowds in Bangladesh are flocking to snap photographs with an unlikely social media star — an albino buffalo with flowing blond hair nicknamed “Donald Trump” that is due to be sacrificed within days. Owner Zia Uddin Mridha, 38, said his brother named the 700kg bull over its flowing helmet of hair resembling the signature look of the US president. “My younger brother picked this name because of the buffalo’s extraordinary hair,” he said at his farm in Narayanganj, just outside the capital, Dhaka. Mridha said that a constant stream of curious visitors — social media fans, onlookers and children — have come throughout