An Israeli helicopter fired a missile into a Gaza refugee camp yesterday, wounding 15 people as gunmen confronted an Israeli force demolishing Palestinian homes near a Jewish settlement, witnesses said.
An Israeli military source said the army was carrying out an operation against Palestinian militants in Khan Younis camp in the southern Gaza Strip and the helicopter had fired at an "open area" to repulse armed men.
PHOTO: REUTERS
Medics said most of the wounded were civilians, including two children and a woman, with at least one gunman among the casualties. One person was in critical condition in hospital.
Palestinian witnesses later said ground forces operating in the area had pulled back, leaving a string of demolished buildings in their wake.
The Israeli unit -- comprising 10 tanks, armored personnel carriers and bulldozers -- withdrew from the camp after daybreak, military sources confirmed.
Violence has surged in Gaza as militants seek to portray Israel's plan to evacuate Jewish settlers from occupied territory next year as a victory, while Israel is determined to prevent that by smashing Palestinian armed factions first.
The night-time incursion drew fire from gunmen, witnesses said. A helicopter then launched a missile which the witnesses said exploded near a group of Palestinians.
Residents fled into the night as Israeli bulldozers flattened homes bordering the adjacent settlement of Neve Dekelim, where witnesses said a security wall is being built. The army has mounted several such raids in the area recently.
The Israeli military is concerned it may have to evacuate settlers under fire from militants, who have launched frequent mortar bomb and rocket attacks against the Jewish enclaves where some 8,000 Israelis live.
Israel has carried out many aerial missile strikes and ground offensives in Gaza and the West Bank in rolling campaigns to quell Palestinians in revolt since 2000.
In the West Bank city of Nablus on Tuesday, Israeli soldiers shot dead a Palestinian during what a military source described as an army operation.
The source said the troops fired at armed men who approached them, hitting two. Palestinian security officials said the soldiers shot at stone-throwers, killing Salim Qusa, 18.
Earlier, Israeli security sources said Israel had suspended a plan to allow Palestinian police in the West Bank to carry arms for the first time in more than three years to deal with internal Palestinian unrest.
Israeli Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz agreed last Thursday to let some police carry handguns as requested by the Palestinian Authority, which says armed officers are needed to curb lawlessness after a wave of factional strife and kidnappings.
But the plan will not be put into action until security chiefs decide whether it risks Israeli lives, the sources said, after Prime Minister Ariel Sharon ran into resistance from rightist cabinet ministers, who also oppose the Gaza pullout.
Israel banned Palestinian security members from carrying weapons after accusing them of involvement in the violence.
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
A ship anchored off the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was seized and taken toward Iran and another — a cargo ship near Oman — sank after being attacked, authorities said on Thursday, as tensions escalated near the Strait of Hormuz. It was not immediately clear who was behind these incidents, but they happened as a senior Iranian official reiterated his country’s claim of control over the waterway and another said it had a right to seize oil tankers connected to the US. The turmoil in the strait has been a sticking point for weeks in talks between the US and Iran to
Crowds in Bangladesh are flocking to snap photographs with an unlikely social media star — an albino buffalo with flowing blond hair nicknamed “Donald Trump” that is due to be sacrificed within days. Owner Zia Uddin Mridha, 38, said his brother named the 700kg bull over its flowing helmet of hair resembling the signature look of the US president. “My younger brother picked this name because of the buffalo’s extraordinary hair,” he said at his farm in Narayanganj, just outside the capital, Dhaka. Mridha said that a constant stream of curious visitors — social media fans, onlookers and children — have come throughout