Israel will allow Palestinian police to resume carrying arms, security officials said, a significant step toward shoring up the prestige of Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia.
Also on Thursday, Palestinian militants fired six homemade rockets from northern Gaza into Israel just hours after Israeli forces pulled back from a Gaza town, following an operation to stop the rocket attacks.
Israel said that it would reopen yesterday the main crossing point between Egypt and Gaza, closed for since last month because of what the Israelis said were warnings of attacks there by Palestinian militants.
As part of a security reform program, Qureia decided to deploy blue-uniformed police on the streets of Palestinian cities and towns. However, for the last three years, Israel has not allowed Palestinians to carry arms in public in the West Bank.
The Israeli officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Palestinian Civil Affairs Minister Jamil Tarifi met with a senior Israeli official this week and put forward the request. Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz said Israel would agree, but it would require presentation of a list of those who are to receive weapons and would have to approve each one individually.
Control of Palestinian streets has been taken by armed gangs and militant groups in the absence of Palestinian police. Israel banned the police in 2001 at the height of the Palestinian-Israel conflict, charging that they were involved in violence.
Reform of security forces is a key demand by Palestinian critics of President Yasser Arafat's administration, as well as the US and Israel. Qureia withdrew a letter of resignation last week after Arafat agreed to give him authority over police, while retaining command of other security forces.
The Israeli decision would help Qureia boost his standing among his people. Israel was harshly criticized for taking no steps to help his predecessor, Mahmoud Abbas, who resigned after only four months in office. The Israeli officials said the decision reflects a policy of allowing Palestinians to take control of areas if they can maintain order.
Palestinian Foreign Minister Nabil Shaath said Israeli occupation interferes with law enforcement.
"The Israelis are making it very difficult, but the Palestinian Authority is determined to protect its citizens and to protect law and order in every town in the West Bank," he told Associated Press Television News.
On Thursday, Israel pulled its forces out of Beit Hanoun in the northeastern corner of the Gaza Strip after a six-week operation aimed at moving Israeli towns out of range of the homemade Gaza rockets. The Israelis left widespread damage behind, leveling farmland and destroying structures, but the operation did not stop the attacks.
In the hours that followed the pullout, militants fired six rockets that exploded in open spaces inside Israel. No damage or casualties were reported.
In another development, Israel said it would reopen the Rafah crossing between Gaza and Egypt yesterday. The crossing was closed on July 18 after Israel said it received intelligence warnings of attacks there by Palestinian militants.
About 1,500 Palestinians were stranded on the Egyptian side of the crossing and faced severe hardships, including food shortages. Egypt warned this week of a humanitarian crisis.
Israel said it opened another crossing not far away, but Palestinians refused to go. Using the Nitzana crossing would have required them to pass through Israel.
Under terms of interim peace accords, Israel controls the crossings between the Palestinian territories and neighboring countries.
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
A ship anchored off the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was seized and taken toward Iran and another — a cargo ship near Oman — sank after being attacked, authorities said on Thursday, as tensions escalated near the Strait of Hormuz. It was not immediately clear who was behind these incidents, but they happened as a senior Iranian official reiterated his country’s claim of control over the waterway and another said it had a right to seize oil tankers connected to the US. The turmoil in the strait has been a sticking point for weeks in talks between the US and Iran to
Crowds in Bangladesh are flocking to snap photographs with an unlikely social media star — an albino buffalo with flowing blond hair nicknamed “Donald Trump” that is due to be sacrificed within days. Owner Zia Uddin Mridha, 38, said his brother named the 700kg bull over its flowing helmet of hair resembling the signature look of the US president. “My younger brother picked this name because of the buffalo’s extraordinary hair,” he said at his farm in Narayanganj, just outside the capital, Dhaka. Mridha said that a constant stream of curious visitors — social media fans, onlookers and children — have come throughout