Pyongyang said yesterday a South Korean allegation that a North Korean patrol boat had intruded into its territorial waters was a "sheer lie" designed to provoke a military confrontation.
South Korea's defense ministry has said the North Korean vessel intruded into South Korean waters near Yeonpyeong Island at 07:40 GMT on Wednesday, ignoring warnings from a South Korean navy ship.
The vessel left shortly after a South Korean ship fired two rounds of cannon shots into the air, it said.
But North Korea's navy countered yesterday that the allegations were false, saying none of its vessels had crossed the disputed maritime boundary at the time mentioned by the South Korean military or even been in the area.
In a statement the Navy Command of the [North] Korean People's Army accused the South of spreading misinformation to mislead the pubic opinion.
"In a word, the South Korean army's much publicized `case of intrusion' by a patrol boat of the North side is nothing but a sheer lie and a deceptive farce," it said.
It said this "improper behavior" ran counter to a landmark accord reached between the Koreas last month to ease tension on the Cold War's last frontier.
Under the accord, South and North Korean navies are supposed to open radio contact along the disputed sea border in the Yellow Sea to prevent accidental clashes.
"This cannot but be construed otherwise than a sinister aim to persistently insist on the bogus `Northern Limit Line' drawn by foreign forces and incite the North-South confrontation," the North Korean navy said.
North Korea has never accepted the Northern Limit Line, unilaterally drawn by the US-led UN after the end of the Korean War in 1953, and calls for a new maritime border to be drawn up.
"If the South Korean army persists in its military provocations, misjudging the changed situation, it will entail irretrievable serious consequences," the North Korean navy said.
The South Korean defense ministry on Friday retracted an earlier report that said the North Korean navy failed to respond to multiple radio messages sent by South Korean ships before the warning shots were fired.
It said the North Korean side had in fact responded to the calls and sent three radio messages to the South Korean navy, including one saying: "The boat now sailing to the South is a Chinese fishing boat."
South Korean media quoted an unidentified military source as saying that the South Korean ships might have mistaken the Chinese fishing boat poaching there for a North Korean patrol boat.
President Roh Moo-Hyun called for a thorough investigation to determine if there was any attempt by the South Korean military to cover up the fact that the North had actually responded to the radio calls from the South.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told