Colombia's far-right paramilitary warlords and the government begin formal peace talks yesterday aimed at ending one facet of the Western hemisphere's longest-running war.
About 10 bosses of the 20,000-strong Self-Defense Forces of Colombia, a vigilante army known as AUC that targets Marxist rebels and is accused of many human rights abuses, will take part in the talks.
Although militia leaders and government envoys have been talking in secret since July last year, the carefully orchestrated ceremony in Santa Fe de Ralito in northern Colombia marks the first time the two sides will take their peace process public.
The AUC commanders, armed with government safe-conduct promises and assurances they will not be extradited to the US -- where some are wanted on drug charges -- will remain within a 368km2 rural zone monitored by observers from the Organization of American States (OAS).
Reaching a peace accord with the paramilitaries is central to President Alvaro Uribe's strategy to end a four-decade-old guerrilla war that claims thousands of lives each year.
The demobilization of the paramilitaries would remove from the equation a well-armed private army which has swollen in size in recent years thanks to its links with drugs.
The year-old negotiations to demobilize AUC fighters by 2006 has been marked by broken cease-fires. The warlords insist that immunity from jail time be a condition of any settlement, a demand which has outraged human rights groups.
Hours before the talks were due to start, a warlord freed a former senator who had been kidnapped over the weekend, removing a last-minute obstacle which had threatened to derail yesterday's ceremony.
"The hour of truth for the [paramilitaries] has arrived," said Sergio Caramagna, OAS representative. Caramagna warned a settlement could be far off and that difficulties would arise.
Critics blame the AUC, dubbed "terrorists" by Washington, for some of the worst abuses in Colombia.
They say paramilitaries -- which have roots in militias set up by drug lords and cattle ranchers to fight rebels and have often worked with sectors of the military -- have killed thousands of peasants they suspected of sympathizing with rebels.
Highlighting deep misgivings about a peace process human rights activists dismiss as a travesty, few foreign ambassadors are expected to attend despite being invited by Uribe.
In an interview this week, US Ambassador William Wood said he believed the paramilitaries were more interested in "narco-terrorism" than in peace. "We are sceptical about the peace process," Wood said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told