A bomb explosion hit a bus carrying Afghan women election workers in eastern Afghanistan yesterday, UN and Afghan officials said, killing at least three people in the bloodiest attack yet on preparations for the country's first post-Taliban vote. \nA purported spokesman for the Taliban, which has vowed to sabotage the September election, claimed responsibility for the attack. \nThe explosion occurred at about 8am, when the locally hired bus was on the outskirts of the city of Jalalabad, 120km east of the capital, Kabul, UN spokesman Manoel de Almeida e Silva said. \n"At least three were killed and three or four seriously injured," Almeida e Silva said. He didn't give details. \nFaizan, a spokesman for the governor of Nangarhar province, which surrounds Jalalabad, said the dead were two women and one child and that at least 10 injured people were being treated in local hospitals. Many Afghans use only one name. \nGeneral Abdul Malik Malikzai, a senior security official, blamed Taliban and al-Qaeda insurgents for the attack, the latest in a string of bombings and shootings targeting election workers in the lead-up to the polls. \n"This is obvious that Taliban and al-Qaeda carry out bombings and explosions. They are enemies of this country," he said, without giving evidence to support his claim. \nLieutenant Colonel Tucker Mansager, a spokesman for the US military in Afghanistan, said a homemade bomb had exploded near the vehicle, causing casualties, but he had no more details. \nAbdul Hakim Latifi, who claims to speak for the Taliban, said that the bomb was detonated by remote control, and threatened more violence. \n"The Taliban carried out this attack. We will not forgive any man or woman who is supporting US policies. We will continue this kind of attack to make sure the elections fail," he said in a telephone call from an undisclosed location. \nThe UN said the women were headed to Rodat district, east of Jalalabad, to register female voters. \nMore than one-third of the 4.5 million people signed up so far for the vote are women, about one-half the estimated total of eligible Afghans but well on the way to the 6 million that President Hamid Karzai says would be enough to make the vote legitimate.
A coronavirus-free tropical island nestled in the northern Pacific might seem the perfect place to ride out a pandemic, but residents on Palau said that life right now is far from idyllic. The microstate of 18,000 people is among a dwindling number of places on Earth that still report zero cases of COVID-19 as figures mount daily elsewhere. The disparate group also includes Samoa, Turkmenistan, North Korea and bases on the frozen continent of Antarctica. A dot in the ocean hundreds of kilometers from its nearest neighbors, Palau is surrounded by the vast Pacific Ocean, which has acted as a buffer against the
Dutch scientists have found the coronavirus in a city’s wastewater before COVID-19 cases were reported, demonstrating a novel early warning system for the disease. SARS-CoV-2 — the virus that causes COVID-19 — is often excreted in an infected person’s stool. Although it is unlikely that sewage will become an important route of transmission, the pathogen’s increasing circulation in communities would increase the amount of it flowing into sewer systems, Gertjan Medema and colleagues at the KWR Water Research Institute in Nieuwegein said on Monday. They detected genetic material from the coronavirus at a wastewater treatment plant in Amersfoort on March 5, before
TRUE TOLL? Some Chinese are skeptical about official data, particularly given the overwhelmed medical system and initial attempts to cover up the outbreak The long lines and stacks of urns greeting family members of the dead at funeral homes in Wuhan, China, are spurring questions about the true scale of casualties at the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, renewing pressure on a Chinese government struggling to control its containment narrative. The families of those who succumbed to the coronavirus in the city, where the disease first emerged, were allowed to pick up their cremated ashes at eight funeral homes last week. As they did, photographs circulated on Chinese social media of thousands of urns being ferried in. Outside one funeral home, trucks shipped in about 2,500
KEEN INTEREST: India is trying to procure medical gear from domestic producers and abroad, and China has emerged as a possible supplier as its factories reopen India is to buy ventilators and masks from China to help it deal with COVID-19, a government official said yesterday, even though some countries in Europe had complained about the quality of the equipment. India has recorded 1,251 cases of the coronavirus, with 32 deaths, but health experts said the country of 1.3 billion people could see a major surge in cases that could overwhelm its weak public health system. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government said that it was trying to procure medical gear, including masks and body coveralls, both from domestic firms and from countries such as South Korea and