A ship carrying 4,190 South Korean and Japanese cars sank after colliding with an oil tanker south of Singapore, port officials and a ship operator said yesterday.
The collision between the oil tanker Mt Kaminesan loaded with 279,949 tonnes of crude oil and car carrier MV Hyundai No 105 occurred on Saturday just before midnight, the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) said in a statement.
PHOTO: REUTERS
"All the cars sank. But there is no spill [of crude oil] from the tanker," said MPA spokeswoman Theresa Pong.
The MV Hyundai was carrying about 3,000 new cars exported by South Korea's largest automaker, Hyundai Motor Co, and its Kia Motors affiliate as well as over 1,000 second-hand Japanese cars, the ship operator, Eukor Car Carriers, said.
The MV Hyundai's crew of 20 -- four Koreans and 16 Filipinos -- were rescued before the ship sank and there were no injuries to members of either vessel, the authority said.
"Prior to the collision, warnings were given to the two vessels by the MPA's vessel traffic information service. The two vessels also communicated with each other," the statement said.
The Korean automakers and the Eukor Car Carriers, which chartered the sunken ship from Panama, said they had no financial damages from the accident.
"The exported cars have been paid already and they are insured for accident," said Jake Jang, a Hyundai Motor spokesman.
The 184m-long and 31m-wide ship, which was built in 1987, was bound for Germany, carrying such models as the small-sized passenger car Click, sports utility vehicles, Santa Fe and Sorento, for exports to Russia, Finland, Germany and other European countries, Jang said.
Hyundai has stockpiles of those cars, if European dealerships want them to be shipped again, he added.
Carl Hagman, the chief executive of the Eukor Car Carriers, which is operating 83 vessels, said the doomed ship was insured with Norwegian Hull Club, and damages would be fully compensated.
The MV Hyundai vessel was taken over by the Eukor Car Carriers in 2002 from Hyundai Merchant Marine Co.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told