Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon said his pledge to the US not to harm Palestinian President Yasser Arafat no longer holds, declaring that Arafat and the head of Lebanon's Hezbollah guerrillas are potential targets for assassination.
In an interview set for broadcast yesterday by Israeli Army Radio, Sharon said that three years ago he promised US President George W. Bush that Israel would not harm Arafat, but since then circumstances have changed.
"Arafat was given red carpet treatment everywhere in the world. Today it is clear to the US and to everyone just who Arafat is," Sharon said. Israel and the US are boycotting Arafat, charging that he is responsible for Palestinian violence.
On March 22, Israel assassinated Sheik Ahmed Yassin, founder and spiritual leader of the violent Islamic Hamas movement, and officials said Israeli forces would mete out similar treatment to others involved in the organization or execution of attacks against Israel.
Asked by the Army Radio interviewer if that meant Arafat and Hezbollah's Sheik Hassan Nasrallah were targets, Sharon replied, "Whoever aims to kill Jews, whoever sends murderers to kill Jews, is marked for death."
Israel accuses Arafat of not only ignoring violent groups operating from his territory under his control, but also actively encouraging attacks against Israelis. Nasrallah said earlier this week that his militant Shiite Muslim Lebanese group will help Hamas avenge Yassin's death.
Hezbollah and Israel fought a bloody 18-year guerrilla war in south Lebanon before Israel's withdrawal in 2000, and the two remain bitter enemies.
Sharon said he had not sought US approval for any strike against Arafat or Nasrallah.
"I didn't ask permission from anyone," he said.
"I want to emphasize again that anyone who kills Jews because they are Jews is marked for death," he said.
Hamas has claimed responsibility for suicide bomb attacks that have killed hundreds of Israelis during more than three years of conflict.
Sharon made similar threats in other interviews ahead of the Jewish Passover holiday.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The