Thousands of Spaniards were expected to join anti-war marches on the anniversary of the Iraq invasion yesterday as police continued to hunt suspects over the devastating Madrid train bombings.
Protests were scheduled across Europe a year after coalition troops launched the invasion to seek out Iraq's alleged weapons of mass destruction and topple the brutal regime of Saddam Hussein.
PHOTO: AP
But they were to take on an added sense of poignancy in Madrid, still reeling from Spain's worst ever terror attack on March 11, when suspected Islamic extremists killed 202 people in a series of blasts on commuter trains.
The attacks led to the downfall of Spain's pro-US government in elections three days later and rocked the US-led coalition in Iraq, with the incoming government vowing to withdraw Spanish troops by June without a UN mandate.
The Madrid bombings, the worst terror attack in Europe in 15 years, have fueled fears that terrorists are bent on hurting countries which support the US-led coalition in Iraq, particularly in Britain, Italy and Poland.
Prime minister-elect Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, who won last weekend's elections on a wave of anti-war anger heightened by the carnage here, has described the occupation of Iraq as a "fiasco."
His threat to pull the country's 1,300 troops out of Iraq is an about-face for one of the main supporters in Europe of the US-led "coalition of the willing," and has led to criticism from some quarters that Madrid has caved in to terrorists.
"It's difficult to avoid the conclusion that this has been a victory for international terrorism because the [election] result seems directly attributable to the attacks," Brookings Institution senior fellow Philip Gordon told El Pais newspaper.
US President George W. Bush, in a speech on Friday to mark the first anniversary of the Iraq invasion, said there could be no "separate peace with the terrorist enemy" and warned against "any sign of weakness or retreat".
But incoming Spanish foreign minister Miguel Angel Moratinos told broadcaster CNN that Spain's proposed withdrawal of troops from Iraq did not mean it was renouncing the struggle against terrorism.
"Repatriating 1,300 soldiers does not mean that Spain is modifying its commitment to the struggle against terrorism," he said late Friday.
"It is not going to change the future of Iraq. This is a false debate. What is up for debate is how we can reinforce the political and democratic process and security in Iraq."
Spanish police are seeking four Moroccans who are believed to have stolen the explosives used in the Madrid bombings, the daily El Pais reported yesterday.
The only Spanish national detained in connection with the March 11 bombings has told investigators he drove the attack's plotters to a mine in the northern town of Asturies a Aviles where 100kg of explosives were stolen in February, a source close the investigation told the daily.
A former miner with a record of drugs trafficking and illegal arms possession, he said he met the Moroccans in January in a Madrid bar.
They had said they were searching for explosives for use in a mine in Morocco, and the Spaniard told them he knew where unguarded explosives could be found and later drove them to the site.
Ten people have been detained in connection with last week's bombings.
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
A ship anchored off the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was seized and taken toward Iran and another — a cargo ship near Oman — sank after being attacked, authorities said on Thursday, as tensions escalated near the Strait of Hormuz. It was not immediately clear who was behind these incidents, but they happened as a senior Iranian official reiterated his country’s claim of control over the waterway and another said it had a right to seize oil tankers connected to the US. The turmoil in the strait has been a sticking point for weeks in talks between the US and Iran to
Crowds in Bangladesh are flocking to snap photographs with an unlikely social media star — an albino buffalo with flowing blond hair nicknamed “Donald Trump” that is due to be sacrificed within days. Owner Zia Uddin Mridha, 38, said his brother named the 700kg bull over its flowing helmet of hair resembling the signature look of the US president. “My younger brother picked this name because of the buffalo’s extraordinary hair,” he said at his farm in Narayanganj, just outside the capital, Dhaka. Mridha said that a constant stream of curious visitors — social media fans, onlookers and children — have come throughout