A renewed spate of diplomacy swirled around the Israeli-Palestinian conflict yesterday as international mediators stepped up efforts ahead of a proposed Israeli withdrawal from Gaza and an expected summit between both sides' premiers.
Tension between the two sides persisted, and Israeli forces patrolled the streets of Ramallah early yesterday after encircling the West Bank city to prevent Palestinian attacks, the military said.
Israeli Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom met Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak later in the day, while top US envoys were scheduled to hold midday talks about the potential withdrawal and chances for renewing the long stalled "road map" peace plan. Shalom is the highest Israeli official to visit Egypt since Prime Minister Ariel Sharon took office in 2000.
Shalom said the two spoke about the withdrawal plan and "how to build an infrastructure of peace on all levels."
Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Maher said Mubarak "showed our desire to work for the implementation for peace between the Palestinians and Israel on the basis of the road map."
The Palestinians are looking for Egyptian involvement in Gaza in the event of a withdrawal, but Egypt has resisted committing itself, despite fears of the chaos a power vacuum in Gaza could bring to its border.
Egyptian intelligence chief Omar Suleiman met Yasser Arafat in Ramallah on Wednesday to talk about Gaza's fate under the withdrawal plan, which is part of unilateral measures Sharon has said Israel would take if peace talks remain stalled.
Suleiman told Arafat that Egypt would help restructure and retrain the Palestinian security forces to help maintain order in Gaza in the event of a withdrawal, Palestinian security official Jibril Rajoub said.
Suleiman secretly met Sharon earlier in the week.
Three senior US envoys were to hold another round of talks yesterday and today on Sharon's "disengagement plan."
The officials, traveling to the region for the second time in less than a month, are Assistant Secretary of State William Burns, Stephen Hadley, deputy director of the National Security Council, and Elliot Abrams, a Middle East specialist at the council.
Israeli officials traveled to Washington last week to discuss the withdrawal plan with Secretary of State Colin Powell and National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice.
The plan would also be brought up at a summit between Sharon and Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia tentatively scheduled for next week, Israeli officials said on condition of anonymity. Final details were to be worked out on Sunday.
Israel hopes the Palestinians will agree at a summit to maintain order in Gaza after the proposed pullout, while the Palestinians hope to revive the US-backed road map.
"Both sides now want the meeting," Sharon's adviser Raanan Gissin said.
Qureia has dropped a demand that a summit yield concrete results, such as an easing of travel restrictions on Palestinians, Palestinian officials said, out of fear Sharon would tell US officials the Palestinians had no interest in restarting peace efforts.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told