Officials were investigating whether human remains made their way into pork processed for human consumption at a pig farm owned by a suspected serial killer.
Robert William Pickton, 54, was arrested in February 2002 and has been charged with 15 counts of murder for killings spanning 20 years.
The remains of 22 women have been found at Pickton's pig farm east of Vancouver, Royal Canadian Mounted Police investigators said. In all, Pickton is suspected in 31 killings, authorities said.
None of the meat from Pickton's farm was sold in stores or widely distributed, authorities said on Wednesday. But Pickton often gave friends and associates frozen pork products, Dr Perry Kendall, the health officer for British Columbia, said on Wednesday.
Kendall said Pickton's unlicensed slaughter facility was very unsanitary.
"It's very disturbing to think about, but [there is] the possibility of some cross-contamination," he said. "But the degree of it or when or how much we really don't know."
Later Wednesday, police Corporal Cate Galliford refused at a news conference to use the word "remains" to describe the potentially contaminated meat.
She said the meat may have been contaminated with human DNA.
Officials at the British Columbia Center for Disease Control said the risk to those who ate the pork is remote because pork must always be well-cooked, a process that destroys most infectious agents.
"There's a very low risk of any human disease being transmitted in that fashion," Kendall said. However, he said he wanted to ensure that any remaining products are not consumed.
A formal investigation by Kendall, the CDC and officials at Health Canada and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency was launched last Friday.
"It's disgusting," said Lynn Frey, who learned earlier this year that her daughter Marnie's DNA had been found at Pickton's farm. "It's absolutely insane. How many people have eaten something from that farm?"
Police said they would file more charges against Pickton, who is not expected to stand trial until late this year or early next year.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told