US President George W. Bush's approval rating is 48 percent, the lowest in three years, and 50 percent don't want him to be re-elected in November, a Newsweek poll said.
The nationwide poll of 1,004 adults taken Feb. 5-6 showed that 45 percent said they would like to see Bush re-elected. Bush's job approval was 49 percent in last week's poll, and 50 percent the week before.
This week's rating was the lowest since February 2001, a month after Bush took office. The survey has a 3 percentage-point error margin.
Democratic front-runner John Kerry, a Massachusetts senator, would win the election over Bush if the contest were held today, with 50 percent of voters supporting Kerry, the poll found. About 45 percent said they would vote for Bush.
Bush would beat Kerry's Democratic rivals, the survey found.
The poll showed Bush leads North Carolina Senator John Edwards by 49 percent to 44 percent, former Vermont Governor Howard Dean by 50 percent to 44 percent and retired General Wesley Clark by 51 percent to 43 percent.
Another survey showed Bush's decline in public opinion started after David Kay, who quit last month as leader of the search for chemical and biological weapons in Iraq, said he didn't believe the Middle Eastern country had any of the banned weapons, the Associated Press reported.
The National Annenberg Election Survey found Bush's approval rating fell 10 points from Jan. 25-31, to 54 percent from 64 percent. The tracking poll of 1,032 adults takes a nightly sample and rolls together two or three nights' findings at a time. It has a 3 percentage-point error margin.
Public support for Bush declined 9 percentage points over the last month, according to an AP-Ipsos poll of US adults released yesterday.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told