Several members of the Tao Aboriginal community yesterday reiterated their decades-long demand that the government remove nuclear waste from Taitung County’s Orchid Island (Lanyu, 蘭嶼), saying that they would not accept the NT$2.55 billion (US$83.57 million) in compensation President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) promised in the run-up to the Jan. 11 elections.
Since construction of a storage site was finished in 1982, more then 100,000 barrels of low-level radioactive waste have been transported from nuclear power plants on Taiwan proper to the outlying island, without obtaining residents’ consent in advance.
During a visit to Taitung on Friday last week, Tsai, who is seeking re-election as the Democratic Progressive Party’s (DPP) candidate, pledged NT$2.55 billion in damages to Lanyu’s Tao community.
Photo: Tu Chien-jung, Taipei Times
In addition, the government is to offer NT$220 million in compensation every three years until the nuclear waste is completely removed, Executive Yuan spokeswoman Kolas Yotaka said later that day, adding that guidelines for the reparations had last month been approved by Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) and that a fund management board that includes local residents would be established.
“We will not take a penny of the compensation, as we can catch fish and grow sweet potatoes to feed ourselves,” Tao elder and anti-nuclear power campaigner Capen Nganaen said yesterday at a protest in front of the Executive Yuan in Taipei, accompanied by environmental protection groups.
The Tao-language remarks by 83-year-old Capen, who in 2016 became a presidential adviser after accepting an apology to Aborigines by Tsai, were translated into Chinese by Syamen Fengayan, another Tao.
Tsai’s administration has not shown that it is sincere about wanting to relocate the nuclear waste and she is trying to buy off the Tao before the elections, Capen said, calling the president “a liar.”
Kolas said that Minister Without Portfolio Lin Wan-i (林萬億) — convener of a Cabinet task force formed to probe the truth about nuclear waste storage on Lanyu — had obtained consent for the compensation from the majority of Tao after talks over the past three years.
However, Lanyu Primary School president Syamen Womzas said that the decision to accept the compensation was not unanimous, adding that the Cabinet’s guidelines are not legitimate, as no advance notice was given before their publication.
The DPP government should enact a bill on compensation and nuclear waste disposal that passed a first reading at the Legislative Yuan three years ago, rather than adopt administrative guidelines, he said.
The NT$2.55 billion should instead be used as a budget for relocating the nuclear waste, Syamen Womzas said.
The government should establish a platform to discuss how to handle the nuclear waste and related compensation, while also continuing to reveal the storage site’s buried history, he said.
After meeting with Tao representatives inside the Executive Yuan, Lin told them he would deliver their opinions to Tsai and Su, the National Nuclear Abolition Action Platform said in a statement.
While Lin promised to continue delving into the site’s history, the statement cited him as saying that another budget would be allocated to relocate the nuclear waste, without elaborating.
Additional reporting by Lee Hsin-fang
FAMILY FEUD: Weng Jen-hsien, who was convicted of killing six people in 2016, was the second prisoner to be executed since President Tsai Ing-wen took office A death row inmate was executed on Wednesday, less than a year after he was convicted of killing six people by setting fire to his home. Minister of Justice Tsai Ching-hsiang (蔡清祥) said that he signed the order and the death sentence was carried out on Wednesday afternoon in New Taipei City. The Supreme Court on July 10 last year sentenced 53-year-old Weng Jen-hsien (翁仁賢) to death after he was convicted of killing his parents, niece, nephew and nephew’s wife and his parents’ caregivers. Weng set fire to his home in Taoyuan’s Longtan District (龍潭) on Feb. 7, 2016, after a family feud
At a campground in Nantou County, a team of women are using ropes to shimmy up a towering seven-story tall Chinaberry tree, fighting their fear of heights and reconnecting with nature. Tree climbing remains somewhat niche in Taiwan, but a growing number of women are embracing the challenge thanks to the island’s first international certified female climber arborist. Sylvia Hsu (許芢涵), 26, said she was inspired to set up her own women-only tree climbing classes after seeing the popularity of similar gatherings in Europe. “A women-only camp is a more relaxed environment,” she said. “I was hooked on trees after my first climb...
Police in Kaohsiung are investigating a possible murder after a woman’s body was found in a plastic container on Thursday. The bucket was found by a person operating an excavator on a construction site at a private lot next to the Ciaotou Sugar Refinery Station (橋頭糖廠站) on the Kaohsiung Mass Rapid Transit system. Police investigator Chen Jen-cheng (陳仁正) yesterday said police had reviewed missing person reports and have narrowed the identity of the victim down to about 20 possible people. Physical evidence suggested she might have been a Fongshan District (鳳山) woman surnamed Lin (林), who was about 60 years old when she
IN PRINCIPLE: The Central Epidemic Command Center began yesterday to ban visits to hospitalized patients, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced 10 new COVID-19 cases — eight imported and two locally transmitted — bringing the nation’s tally of confirmed cases to 339. The imported cases involved six men and two women, all Taiwanese, who had traveled to Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Indonesia, countries in Latin America, the UK or the US before arriving back in Taiwan between March 6 and Tuesday, center data showed. Among them, patient No. 338 was part of a tour group that traveled to Austria and the Czech Republic, and has resulted in an infection cluster of five cases,